Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss A frustrating gig. in the General forums; One of my teachers told me not to turn my C to tunable horn because he had brought his tunable ...
    Bostonish & San Francisco

Re: A frustrating gig.

One of my teachers told me not to turn my C to tunable horn because he had brought his tunable bell to a gig with an organ, and the organ was so flat, he had to pull the bell out so far, it was touching his face. He didn't like being forced to play to the side...
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Mezzo Piano User
    Marcellus, NY

I don't have much of a problem with the various pitch centers of pipe organs here in Syracuse, NY, but I have noticable difficulty playing in tune with some of the expensive electronic organs like Allen or Rodgers. Somehow their harmonics don't 'line up' the way an acoustic instrument does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi Michiel View Post

Out of curiosity, have you ever run into problems getting your Monettes to play at these extreme pitches? My lighter MC96 has some flexibility, but my C997 has a VERY pronounced "sweet spot" (and also a very short tuning slide).

Dave builds my horns to A=443 Hz which is the standard tuning pitch today in Germany. They work well enough from A=440 to 445.

To be honest, I try and get the program to match the instruments being used. Historical stuff I play with historical instruments. I did transpose down a half step once because that was the only way out.

On the Pic I will use the A pipe instead of the Bb or the other way around. My rotary Bb will tune down to A=432 or so. The rotary F is tuned to A=462 and I have a crook for 443. I have tons of tubes for the nat. I have always found a way to get the program and instrument to line up, so I have never needed to "bend" the Monette out of shape. I will try though, just to see what happens!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

New Friend
    North Vancouver, Canada

I have not run into those problems with an instrument; my horror story dates back to my high school choir. I had a solo in a piece, and of course had it memorized. I found the piano was about a quarter of a tone flat. I had to transpose everything I sang down a quarter of a tone, as I went along. I am blessed/cursed with perfect pitch, so I had some agonies that are still with me, 40 years later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information