Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Frustration, Irritation and Despair in the General forums; Don't drive with a pencil in your mouth. Think AIRBAG. It literally could kill you....
    Don't drive with a pencil in your mouth.

It literally could kill you.

New Expanded Range Arban at
    Plus my other books at
    Free Trumpet Ezine at

It is the Smart application of hard work that gets you there.

New Friend

Re: Frustration, Irritation and Despair

I have over the years struggeled with various instruments and I attribute most of my failure to not being at peace my instument. I have just comeback to play the trumpet after 62 year hiatus. I closed my eyes and played what I could to start. Not trying to play from a printed page. I've had my trumpet less than a week and can play "Danny Boy" and "Amazing Grace." I'm not ready for "Carnival of Venice" but it is a goal and I feel comfortable that I will get there.

You need to get where you play the notes (eyes closed) and your brain puts together all the elements needed to cause your finger, chops and wind to in effect make you one with the instrument. IMHO your time to reach a new and better perfomance level is reach much quicker.

If you read about savats you find: they are blind; have communications problems; many of them relate directly to an instrument (usually a piano). I've watched them play classical music after only hearing it once. This tells me that we have something to gain from these folks. My feeling is to cut the sight connection and play the instrument - getting your brain to do what it obviously can do - put together all the different elements required to become one with the instrument. You will be able to play songs off the top of your head without music and feel good about it. IMO if this is the first step and you accomplish it then the feeding in of sight reading music notation can take its natural place. It seems to me even if your goal is to become a concert performer you have to be in control of the instrument and actually be a part of it.

How many youngsters do you know that took "piano lessions" sight reading music who quit after a few years disgusted with the whole idea. Evidently our minds are encumbered too much information to put it all together efficiently.

I am no expert but I believe what I am doing will pay off for me: I expect to be playing proficiently: trumpet: flugelhorn and baritone horn in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspiring Trumpeter
    Hi Everybody,
    I'm a high school senior and have been practicing every chance I get since I started to take trumpet seriously (midway through 10th grade), and normally have no problems and enjoy it very much, but sometimes, more and more lately, I just get frustrated and really down because it feels like I'm getting no where and all of my efforts are futile.
    I have dreams and asperations of someday becoming one the great players that go down in history, but sometimes it almost seems pointless, as most great players I've heard of fell in love with the instument when they first touched it.
    So I was wondering whether any of the amazing players in this forum have ever felt like this and if anyone has any ideas on a technique that might help or something I would like to hear it. I love music more than anything else in my life right now, but I just don't know if I've got what it takes.
    Have Theatre Organ, Digital Piano, Trumpet, flugelhorn, Baritone Horn and Computer with Cakewalk and Encore 4 software.

Pianissimo User
    Des Moines, IA
    One thing you must remember, as you become a better player your progress slows down. Dig out a solo you played a year ago and note how much better you are playing now. Find another solo that is a bit above you, practice it for a few weeks then put it away for six months. In six months you will be amazed at the progress you have made. Not all great players started young. At the last Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra concert I attended the program notes were full of "so and so started playing at the age of 13, 14 15".

I had the exact same situation as you when I was about your age.

Fortunately I discovered a great teacher that helped me to develop into a successful professional trumpet player. Read about it here:

Best wishes,

John Mohan

san diego
    I remember as a 13 year old, things did come as fast as i would have like.
    Iwould be learning something by nat adderly note for note kind of stuff, and some times i would take it out on my horn whenit was,nt going well.
    I would walk down the hall way,s of the house banging my horn on the wall,s............................................ .......IM much better now that im older.
    I realized that was the makings of a spoiled kid!
    things come when the come man.
    You heard it here 1st, in what ever u do if u buy the ticket u take the ride!
    Stage 1XH Bb
    Phaeton 2030 Bb
    Jupiter flugle 846bl black
    Kersting Pocket trumpet
    Stage1 MP
    schilke 11 MP
    Sdsytems LCM77 wireless
    Shure PGX wireless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information