Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Full sound? in the General forums; I agree with Robert. You can actually use effects with your throat when you play. For example, I can make ...

Re: Full sound?

I agree with Robert. You can actually use effects with your throat when you play. For example, I can make a flutter tongue sound by vibrating my throat. I assure you it opens and closes. Ask a sword swallower about opening up the throat.
    Vintage Trumpets
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Spoken like a true clarinet player!

I figure you're kidding, but Buddy DeFranco can play well. How good would jazz be if it were just trumpets, cornets and flugels. We need drums, bass and yes, clarinet. Part of the beauty is the contrast of the different instruments.
    [ame=]YouTube - Sing, Sing, Sing - Buddy DeFranco & Les Brown 1983[/ame]
    Thank goodness for music.

New Friend

there is NO SUCH THING AS A CLOSED THROAT!! It can't collapse and you can't influence what it does. One less thing for you to worry about! The trachea (windpipe or throat) is not made of soft, expandable tissue. What really happens here is that our neck and upper body muscles are tense. That does not "block" air, it prevents us from taking a "relaxed" deep breath. It messes our posture up and steals energy that we need to play the horn.
    The dictionary definition of throat is, "The part of the digestive tract that lies between the rear of the mouth and the esophagus including the fuaces and pharynx." There's a lot of soft tissue and muscle there and it's very capable of closing down the air flow. It's called holding your breath. You can hold your mouth wide open with the tip of your tongue resting on the bottom of your mouth and completely stop the airflow. This is where the air is stopped with the K syllable in double tounging. If the muscles in your neck are contracted, especially around your adams apple it's going to restrict the airflow.
    Last edited by geobe; 05-31-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: the quote from rowuk appears to be from me

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information