Trumpet Discussion Discuss Fun Beginner Method Books in the General forums; I have been teaching my group of six 5th graders, the youngest I've ever taught, for about five months now ...
    New Friend
    Mesa, Az

Fun Beginner Method Books

I have been teaching my group of six 5th graders, the youngest I've ever taught, for about five months now and they are all progresing great. I have been using etudes out of the 1st Getchell book for some time now, along with other written excercises, but they are very obviously bored with the etudes in this book. I work very hard to keep the students excited about playing and was wondering if anyone has seen/heard/used any good beginner books that were more fun.
    Paul M.

New Friend
    While this is not a method book, Smartmusic is the best thing I have ever used for students. It is an accompaniment program for the computer. I use it with ever student at my house. It has great rhythm training, sightreading and ear training exercises. Teacher can get bulk subscriptions for students very cheap. Check it out at

It is valuable for any instrument and any level.

Piano User
    The Really Big Student Songbook

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Standard of Excellence. Works with SmartMusic if you or your students have it, comes with a nifty 2 CD set that includes a SmartMusic like program called iPas. Since it's a band method, kids can get together with other kids that don't play the same instrument and make small ensembles. There are even little solos in there with accompaniments.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

You may also want to look into Jim Thompson's book Daily Play-Along Brass Builder for the Beginning Trumpet Player available through Atlanta Brass Society Press. It's a great way of developing tone and proper playing habits.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    There are no really fun books because it is now time to make music in an ensemble! Let them jump in, and let them bomb (away from home, though) and let them experience the "section playiing sucks, i wanna be first chair" stuff.Glad it is your job and not mine! Use love and borrow some of mine, VB
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information