Trumpet Discussion Discuss A Funny thing happened in the General forums; Hi all I spotted something on one of CBK's post about smile and pucker embouchures, being ignorant I looked them ...
    Fortissimo User
    East Yorkshire

Smile A Funny thing happened

Hi all

I spotted something on one of CBK's post about smile and pucker embouchures, being ignorant I looked them up (via google) I read up and found it interesting but not of real consequence in terms of "I was taught to play and therefore I play". I suppose I have something of a smile emouchure but have never been told that's what it was. Now the interesting bit I realised, practicing today, my smile was more like an inane grim ( I think rushing to get my range back has over tightened things) So I relaxed the corners, perhaps puckered a little, I'm not sure and Wow, better tone easier fortissimo and endurance gone from forty mins at a push to well over and hour and plenty left. I'm not sure why I'm posting this except that I am thrilled and that it may help the other comeback players that seem to be joining in their droves at the moment.

Cheers All

I'm raising my glass of celebratory ale as I write

Re: A Funny thing happened

I call it "M-Bouchure" not "Grin-bouchure".
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Los Angeles

Re: A Funny thing happened

Might be worth looking into the Wedge mouthpieces. Seems their goal is to create a forward-pointed ensemble (pucker). It makes perfect sense: imagine trying to have fine control of the folds of a squeaking balloon and you're close to the "smile". For me, the pucker embouchure made a huge difference in just about all aspects of my playing.

Kudos for your self-discovery! That's the best part of playing!

Thread Information