Trumpet Discussion Discuss Fuzziness in Sound.. in the General forums; I was away from playing trumpet for a few weeks due to surgery in my mouth and now I'm trying ...
    Pianissimo User

Fuzziness in Sound..

I was away from playing trumpet for a few weeks due to surgery in my mouth and now I'm trying to get my chops back in shape.

One of the things I've noticed is that my sound is very fuzzy and airy. I can't keep things focused and centered.

what do you suggest?

Phoenix, AZ
    Don't think about a pink elephant.

What'd you just think about?

So when I tell you not to worry about this... you're going to worry.

But really, don't worry about this. Keep doing what you were doing before. Maybe add some low, slow, lip-slurs to your practice regime at the beginning. Concentrate not on the sound (I know I know I know....) but the "connectedness" and smoothness of the slurs. Also try doing some lip bends... There's a great Stamp excercise for that... These should immediately bring the focus and "centeredness" back into your sound.

And don't worry about it.

--CD Player
    --LOTS of Recordings
    --A Trumpet
    --A Flugelhorn

Forte User
    Atlanta, GA
    Jorge, you are simply a bit out of shape after taking some time off. Things are a bit softer and less strong. Don't try to change anything you were doing before. Allow everything to regain its strength responding to a steady, supported airstream and take lots of little breaks when you are practicing. Flexibility is a good way to reacquire your muscle/flesh memorization. That is where the fuzziness is coming from. Once your corners have regained some strength, your lips will be supported at the level they once were and all will fall into place. The main thing is trying not to manipulate anything to happen sooner than it naturally wants. Play simple "Concone" melodies softly, concentrating on making music and keeping the airstream supported. You will be fine.

Forte User
    Northern New York
    Adding to Alex's post:
    soft Clarke studies, in the mid-low register and scale studies really seem to help alot.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Forte User
    Rochester, MN
    Wow...Kevin's right!! Tell me not to think about something, and you think about it instantly!

Don't think about just relaxing and doing what Alex said....I had a similar problem after getting braces off and it went away soon enough with patience and time....
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Utimate User
    All the above posters are absolutely right but the single most important thing is to not make it an important thing.

Make it nothing by being singleminded about the sound you create. You'll be back in shape soon. It's llike having been a long distance runner, talking a year off and expecting your gait, stride, and endurance to be the same. It takes a bit of healing and hearing.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown
    A fun thing to try while waiting for the fuzziness to go away -- see if you can make it even fuzzier at will, and bring it back to your normal (although at this time temporarily fuzzy) sound. It might speed recovery, and will make you an expert on playing fuzzy! It may come in handy as a teacher or when playing "The Music Man" for big bucks later on!
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information