Trumpet Discussion Discuss gap in range in the General forums; Hey, I'm a senior in high school looking for some advice. There's been a gap in my range that start ...

gap in range

Hey, I'm a senior in high school looking for some advice. There's been a gap in my range that start around a top line f. but my range is fine above and below that. I get a strange double buzz when i get to f. im not sure how to correct the problem. i used to play with a slight pivot to compensate, but i learned that the pivot was just a handicap for me. any advice or recommended study materials? -thanks

Piano User
    Oslo, Norway

Re: gap in range

If you have a trumpet teacher, you might take it with him/her. Guess your problem must be seen/heared as air, mouthposition etc play in. If you don't have a teacher, I recommend you getting one :)
    Venner, formerly known as Carlsson
    CONNstellation 38b ´56 What an AXE!!!
    Yamaha YTR-8335LA ´14
    Antoine Courtois 154
    Yamaha YTR-232 ´74
    Mpcs: I´m a Wedge Head

Chilhowie, VA

I would suggest you working your way up the F scale until you get to the F on the top line. Hold the F for as long as you can, as softly as you can. Repeat this until you feel your lips getting tired. Rest for a little while. Then try to articulate the E right below the F and hold, as softly as possible. After doing that a couple of times, articulate the F the same way. Play it as softly as you can, for as long as your air allows. Remember to take full breaths and to try and make the most beautiful sound you possibly can each time you put the horn to your face. And it may take some time. So be patient. :)

For the record, I agree with the above post. Teachers help immensely.

a gap in ones range means an inconsistency in breathing or chops - or both.

I have had students with this problem, but not two for the same reason.

The cure was always the same. At least two months of NOTHING EXCEPT WHAT I GAVE THEM FOR LESSONS. No band, playing in church, NOTHING.

We started at the very beginning - breathing and body use until I was happy. Then we replaced exhale with play. Just long tones and lip slurs. Then came easy tunes in the staff. I listened very closely (and often found) traces of the inconsistencies that I mentioned above. We went back to square one.

Fact is, we do not need to compensate between high and low. We need enough fuel (air) synchronized with enough chops (built gently) and enough brains to hear what we are really doing. That can all be learned. If we learned something else, we need to unlearn it and be VERY careful every time that we pick up the horn.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Levittown , NY

Most players that I've seen with a break or gap, are trying to power the higher notes instead of playing them with control. Try practicing the chromatic and major scale studies in Clarke's "Technical Studies" very soft with plenty of rests inbetween each scale. Use as little pressure as possible, jamming the mouthpiece only locks your lips and stops flexibility, which could also cause the break in you playing.

New Friend

I know this sounds crazy. But does this “gap” occur when you play anyone elses instrument?.
    I had a young pupil with a similar problem. I tried his cornet, and found that sounding a clean unfluffy F on the top line of the stave to be a problem even for me.
    My pupil had no such problem when he played my cornet!
    There were no other “sounding” problems, throughout my pupils range, but I found Bb above the stave to also be a bit fluffy for me.
    I could detect no embouchure or breathing problems in my pupil.
    A doctor pal put an endoscope camera through the cornet, and found a semi-circular
    burr of tubing slightly detached from the seam just behind the water key. When we put an Eb concert tuning fork directly onto the site you could actually hear it zing!
    A quick trip to a competent repairer got the burr removed and problem solved.
    So it may not be a player problem at all!

Thread Information