Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Getting back in the game in the General forums; Originally Posted by nexus99 My wife and I have decided to bring music into our home. She is transferring her ...
    Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: Getting back in the game

Quote Originally Posted by nexus99 View Post
    My wife and I have decided to bring music into our home. She is transferring her KHIM skills (you have to look it up) to piano and I am going to see if I can figure out how to play trumpet again.

I am on the prowl for a Getzen 700 Eterna (or Eterna II)... once I have one its on

Its been a loonggg time...
    Welcome to the returning player's club. There are a lot of us here and there is a lot of advice (some good, some not-so-good) to be found if you spend some time browsing the threads. Just remember, it could be worse. One of our comeback players was off for 53 years. But, we just think of it as a long series of rests between notes. While you're shopping, buy several trumpets. That's what I did (started with only one) and it has really made my comeback much faster than it would have been otherwise.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Piano User

"While you're shopping, buy several trumpets."

Are you married...? It was the loaded trumpet case that fell out of the closet last night which prompted her to ask, "where did you get that one?". I honestly could not remember...I do now, but it is too late now. When I blink, I can still see that "look".

The Wide Brown Land

My wife once gave me that look - quick as a flash I asked how many needles, pins, and scissors she had - I AM STILL PAYING FOR IT.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Fortissimo User Buck with a Bach's Avatar
    Canton, Ohio

Cool Re: Getting back in the game

Just the mention of "The Look " makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!
    Bach Artist LTD-1
    Yamaha YTR-732( now gone)
    Selman C, rose brass( ongoing experiment)
    72 Olds Custom Crafted

Selman Flugle( I know, it's Chinese)( Any body got a Getzen valve block I can put in this thing?)
    Conn 17A Cornet
    Bugles across America

Kalamazoo, Michigan

I know how that goes! Sort of like getting the "ray" from Benny Goodman must have felt to the offending musician.

My wife works in a retail fabric shop and has a huge stash of fabrics and stuff down here in the basement , across from my "cave" area. We make it a point also not to criticize each others interests as they frequently intersect to the benefit of both parties. Of course, it helps that she is talented flutist, organist and pianist and has similar musical tastes to mine, also playing music together for 39 yrs.

By the way, I have been listening for hours of Maynard I have on the computer and that plays through Realplayer continuously. Much inspiration and reasons to be humble listening to examples in various stages of his career.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Pianissimo User
    Suburban Boston

As someone who also recently returned to playing trumpet after 20+ years of inactivity, may I suggest that you start with a lesson with a good teacher, if for no other reason than to check your embouchure and prevent the (re)introduction of bad habits?

The right technique goes a long way towards helping with tone, range and especially stamina...

Pianissimo User

I belong to another website "" which has a vintage stereo forum. The posts regarding collecting vintage stereos are nearly identical to what I am reading about collecting additional trumpets, especially "sneaking" them past the wife.

Before joining, I never even considered getting another trumpet, nor did I have trumpet envy. Now, I would like to own a second trumpet but I gotta save a little at a time for it. I could never sneak one in the house. My wife could spot a new egg timer 50 meters away.

At any rate.....welcome back!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information