Trumpet Discussion Discuss Getting Organized... in the General forums; So I would like to ask you guys a couple of questions. I know they have probably been answered before, ...
    In a room in a house

Getting Organized...

So I would like to ask you guys a couple of questions. I know they have probably been answered before, but I figured I mine as well ask again.

1. How do you guys organize your music?
    2. How do you guys organize your practice sessions?

I seem to have a very unorganized practice and therefore end up not getting to everything I need to get to... I am starting to get organized with my life, but I need some help getting started...
    "I'll play it and tell you what it is later." - Miles Davis
    "Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

TR300 Bach [marching horn]
    Big Apple Bach Strad (ML)

1952 Olds Ambassador L.A

Mouthpiece: Curry 5c, Olds 3 (for the cornet atm)

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Getting Organized...

I organized my music as follows:
    1. Method Books
    2. Performance Pieces
    A. Trumpet with Organ
    B.Trumpet with Piano
    C.Trumpet in Orchestra

My practice session is as follows:
    Charles Butler Daily Routine
    Charles Peters Total Range followed by
    Arban's double and triple tonguing until exhaustion.
    Lots of rest (like a nap!)
    Pieces to preform--30 days in advance is the time to start.
    Hang out at TM and google pictures of my favorite actress.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Levittown , NY

Try start you`r practice session at the same time everyday if you can. I always start with long tones , range,slur`s chromatic scale`s then everything else.

Pianissimo User Principaltrumpet's Avatar
    north texas

I have organized my music in many ways. First of all, when I purchase a piece I scan it and save the trumpet and piano part on an 8gb flash drive i bought. Second, I keep all of the originals in a 4 drawer filing cabinet. Each drawer is for a different trumpet Bb, C, Eb/D, and Picc. Third I have random binders set up with copies of different pieces. One binder is be full of lyrical pieces while another is full of those pieces I need to multiple tongue in. Not only do i find that this makes practicing technique more interesting but it also keeps me fresh on pieces i might want to just pull out and perform. When it comes time to perform a piece I always go to the original when I start working it up. You want your markings to be on the paper you are using for the concert/recital, and I have found quiet a few piano players that will not play with me if I dont have the original. I started doing this because I found along the years I some how ended up with 3 original piano parts to the Halsey Stevens and one COPY of the trumpet part. I dont know how, but it happened.

As far as organizing practice I always try to do 45 min on and 15 min off. The day doesnt always allow for this in a reasonable manner so sometimes I have to take what I can get. But I always warm up for 30 min then multiple tongue for 15 straight. very few breaks whwile working on articulation (unless something isnt working). In that case I slow down and take breaks often to try to work the problem out. After my first break it really depends on the day and the goal ahead of me (recital, comp, juries, concert, ect...)
    Yamaha "Chicago" C
    Yamaha "New York" Bb
    Blessing Eb/D
    Yamaha 6810S Picc
    Bach 2C

Joshua C. Ritchie

I have yet to come up with a system for my practicing, but I keep all of my old music in one folder, and all of my recent music in another, with the basics and foundation stuff on one side and the music on the other.

Thread Information