Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Getting the Stink Eye While Practicing on Lunch in the General forums; hey .....when I was in my teens and I practiced at HOME I would be told NOT to play because ...

Re: Getting the Stink Eye While Practicing on Lunch

hey .....when I was in my teens and I practiced at HOME I would be told NOT to play because my cousins baby upstairs was taking a nap then my teacher would be angry that I was not practicing enough and I wanted to play NOT one ounce of incouragement from my @!!! FAMILY Anthony

Franklin, TN

Hahaha, thanks guys.

Yeah, maybe it really was a 'what is that?' look and not the stink eye. It was a pretty ugly face if that was the case, though!

If she's a looker, and your single, it might be motivation to develop a regular routine!!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

New Friend

I posted this earlier in these forums, but:

I used to practice at the beach, in a public park. One day some guy accosted me and cursed me out for practicing. He threatened to call the police. The experience traumatized me and I've practiced at home ever since.

If you go for a holiday in Mexico, take along the trumpet! Unless it's a big Americanized or Europeanized resort, you probably won't get any stink eye from anyone. In Mexico, LOUD is a given .... .... the only place I've ever experienced that was always louder was Madrid. You could stand on a street corner in the middle of the day, playing at full volume, and a lot of people wouldn't even notice you.

Americans are so sensitive to "noise". While nobody complains about traffic noise, ongoing air-ratchet machines, etc ...... they'll get buggy over a musician.
    Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Piano User
    Gilroy, California

Quote Originally Posted by leftmid7 View Post
    I was out in my van during lunch hour practicing with a sshh mute. The volume is seriously so low I've heard people on cell phones talk louder.........

Well, one of the neighboring office ladies(one of a cadre who walk on their breaks, although for some of them their food intake must still be too high;).........

About 5 minutes later she comes right up to the car next to me, acts like shes looking for something in the bushes, comes around the car now right NEXT to my van, looks directly in the windows at me for a split second then walks away, once again with the stink eye, but never says a word.
    Yeah but obnoxious chuckwads on their cells sounding all important are considered NORMAL.

I suggest before you practice, leave a trail of Twinkies that goes AWAY from where you're practicing. Mix it up with donuts or Ding-Dongs (do they still sell those?) at times.

I have a feeling that reason the lady looked right IN your van at you all ticked-off looking is, maybe your playing sounded like the bells of an ice-cream truck to her, and she was all bent out of shape to find it wasn't. Kinda like a dog when you're opening up some package they think is something they like, but then it turns out to be vegetables.

You may consider investing on some candy and such things in bulk from CostCo, and keep it on hand. food eaten on breaks or standing up or given by someone else or just lying around or on the person next to them's plate or being held by a baby while Mom's not watching doesn't count to "dieters" which is what the obese and eternally ravenous are termed. This is why I advise buying in bulk. Just buy 'em off with chocolate etc.
    About 40 lbs of trumpet books for sale. Arban's, Colin, Gordon, all the good stuff. Ask me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information