Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Gezen Super Deluxe in the General forums; I agree, don't get him a pro horn because: he 's going to make mistakes handling the horn. he's a ...

Re: Gezen Super Deluxe

I agree, don't get him a pro horn because: he 's going to make mistakes handling the horn. he's a kid. Also good student horns have a little more resistance that a younger player needs. Pro horns are more open giving him nothing to blow against. After his embouchure develops after several years he may be ready for a more open horn. But really a well made student horn can last him all the way through high school. Note, don't buy anything made by Olds after 1969. My first choice is Yamaha then Getzen then Blessing then Jupiter than maybe Bach TR 300
    Last edited by Bob Grier; 09-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons
    www.bobgriermusic.com

Fortissimo User

Of course, there is always the option of the Olds Ambassador. They are sturdy as a tank, have great valves, and are versatile enough players to last a lifetime - and, even the really good ones are rather inexpensive. Don't be confused by discussions about which year to choose. They are all very good from the first to the last. Other options are Reynolds (which are virtually identical to Olds) and Yamaha (which are very consistent players. The student models play just about as good as the pro models). I have some of all of these so I can attest first hand to their robustness and playing qualities.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

New Friend

Again, thanks for all of the great advice. I ended up agreeing with the majority in that a pro model was just a bit "too much" for a student, not to mention that this one had something wrong with it. Why walk on egg shells handling the thing throughout your young career, not to mention the fact that the point of a student models is 1) to be robust enough to handle the abuse usually seen by the kid and, 2) to develop proper embouchure.

I ended up winning a 1986 Gezen 300 series silver plate on the Bay. Hope I didn't pay too much ($250) but most comparable horns were going for that anyway. Yammys were getting over $300, Olds averaged less but most of them were beat to death, the Bach's were running about what I paid too. I do wish I noticed that Conn Victor before I bid but I'll bet that it'll fetch a bit more than I paid in the end.

Hopefully the horn will be alright as the description wasn't that great but it did mention there were no scratches or dents in it, only tarnish. I suppose I can always turn it back out there if it happens to be a dud. However my dad has a retirement repair business so he can unstick slides and provide modest valve repair so I'm not overly worried. And silver polish works wonders. BTW, what is does the number 617 stamped into the pinky ring mount mean?

All of this is said with respect to the good fortune of my son having something to play already. No time constraints...
    Last edited by scotty1998; 09-16-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Maybe the 617 is part of the serial # used to ensure the proper components for a particular horn are matched up on the assembly line.

Good choice too!

v
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

New Friend

Ahh, that makes sense and seems to correlate with the serial number given. Thanks for the tip.

Pianissimo User

I have a Getzen 300 Series (not silver) that I paid $300 for in 1978 . . . so $250 today for the same in silver plate was money well spent. Also, at least in my humble opinion, the 300 is, overall (meaning valve quality, assembly, tone quality, etc.) one of the best buys you can make. Your boy will be (or should be) proud to pull that out of its case and play it next to just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty1998 View Post
    ...I ended up winning a 1986 Gezen 300 series silver plate on the Bay. Hope I didn't pay too much ($250) but most comparable horns were going for that anyway. Yammys were getting over $300, Olds averaged less but most of them were beat to death, the Bach's were running about what I paid too. I do wish I noticed that Conn Victor before I bid but I'll bet that it'll fetch a bit more than I paid in the end...
    The 6B Victor sold for $217...I should have bought it, but I already have a nice one. Too bad you didn't get in on the auction.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

New Friend

Oh I know... The Conn looked like a real nice horn with the same nickel plating and brass as that of my Constellation Cornet. Would have made a nice pair. What can you do?

I've always wanted a silver plate trumpet though so, with a little luck, the 300 won't be tarnished beyond where a good deoxidation bath, cleanup and shine can't cure. I'm hoping by the pics that I can get it to look close to new again (fingers crossed) and overall I'm pretty excited about it. I didn't see any missing plate and, other than a few spots, looked like it could resurrect real well.

At any rate if my son treats it with respect this could be something that lasts through to college... who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty1998 View Post
    Oh I know... The Conn looked like a real nice horn with the same nickel plating and brass as that of my Constellation Cornet. Would have made a nice pair. What can you do?

I've always wanted a silver plate trumpet though so, ...
    The one I'm talking about was fully silver plated. Anyway, the Getzen 300 should be a good horn, so I hope your son likes it and takes care of it.
    Olde Towne Brass
    www.otbrass.com

Brass Band of Huntsville
    www.brassbandofhuntsville.com

Trumpet: 1976 Bach Stradivarius ML 43, Curry 3C.
    Cornet: 1993 Bach Stradivarius L 184G, Curry 3BBC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information