Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Gig bags in the General forums; Alright, so I get my new trumpet within 2 weeks.. I travel a lot with the trumpet I have now, ...
    Pianissimo User

Gig bags

Alright, so I get my new trumpet within 2 weeks.. I travel a lot with the trumpet I have now, and the case takes so much room up.. And I've been thinking about getting a gig bag for my newer trumpet.. Advice, suggestions?

Banned Fortissimo User
    Florida, US

Re: Gig bags

NO! Gig bags are not very protective. It is a basically a shopping bag that you hold your trumpet in. It will dent really easily. Get a Torpedo bag, they are light, small, and provide a ton of protection, literally!
    Torpedo Bags
    bumblebee likes this.

Forte User

If you're looking for a soft gig-bag I recommend the Reunion Blues double. I've had one for over 20 years and it's fantastic.

If you need something for protection then I second the recommendation for the torpedo. I have a torpedo classic and it's absolutely the best case I've owned.
    Solar Bell and bumblebee like this.

Bostonish & San Francisco

If you want to carry around your trumpet without ever putting it down/out of your sight for a second, then a gig bag is fine :)
    However, I'd recommend a real case for most purposes. The torpedo is the most protective single case out there, and the outlaw is supposed to be half the weight, but still protective.
    There are relatively small cases out there too, the contoured ones are only a little bigger than the trumpet:
    Dillon Music - Pro-Tec Travel Light Trumpet PRO PAC Case
    but still manage to provide protection against glancing hits (I would handle them too roughly, but that's a good idea in general)
    brad361 and Mark_Kindy like this.
    Bb: Courtois 305 "Elite", Holton Al Hirt Special (~1966), Benge 3x with Upturned bell (1973)
    C: Bach C180-239 (Akwright conversion),
    Cornet: Conn Wonder (1900)
    Picc: Selmer Paris, ~1971

Santa Cruz County, CA

The SKB contoured trumpet case is small, fairly cheap, and a lot more protective than a gig bag. The only downside is it doesn't hold much more than the trumpet and one mouthpiece.
    J. Notso Nieuwguyski

Great Southern Land

I really like my Torpedo bag and the "mute bag" which clips to it holds a lot, and this can be separated from the main barrel which I find handy when stowing the trumpet in the overhead compartment (keeping the mute bag with my novel, MP3 player, other stuff, handy near my feet).

New Friend
    New England

Quote Originally Posted by nieuwguyski View Post
    The SKB contoured trumpet case is small, fairly cheap, and a lot more protective than a gig bag. The only downside is it doesn't hold much more than the trumpet and one mouthpiece.
    +1 on the SKB. I got one with a horn on ebay and I like it very much. It's very compact and plenty strong. I plan to resell the horn, but I am keeping that case!
    In the fall of 1980, I walked into the bandroom of my elementary school carrying a Bach Strad trumpet case. When the teacher opened the case and saw my (new to me) 1966 Blessing Scholastic he remarked, "ah, a Blessing in Disguise!"

South Salem, NY

Eastman also have a very small contoured fiberglass single many colors!
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

Pianissimo User
    Fayetteville, NC

Torpedo Outlaw. Significantly lighter than the standard Torpedo, still LOTS of protection. I use a standard Torpedo when I travel and my Outlaw day to day around town.

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

I recently got this one to carry a trumpet back and forth to work:

Reunion Blues Trumpet - RBCT1

It is not a hard-shell case, but for going back and forth to work, it weights almost nothing and holds an extra-long horn, which is one of the reasons I got it.

The Protec contoured case is also quite good, and in fact, my sister dropped my horn off her tailgate bell-down and there was no damage (thank goodness, out of town for a funeral is no time to smack someone).

If you are clumsy or won't be in control of your horn 100% of the time, then a hard-shell case is the way to go.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information