I'm one of those who likes to vent on message boards in addition to real life...
It seems that I can't play in any gigs lately. After 5 or 6 invitations over the past year (nothing to brag about) conflicts just keep getting in the way. All of them except one were due to conflicts.
I signed up for the Rafael Mendez Brass Institute (a week long brass seminar thingie in mid-July) and a musical (Crazy for You). But suddenly, the "Crazy for You" dates change, and there's a conflict between the two. So, I had to drop that musical for the RMBI.
Yesterday, I get an e-mail about doing another show (Chicago), which pays $600 across 12 performances (not very much each performance, but to get $600 in one month for a non-professional.... pretty good). But, of course, RMBI has created a conflict.... again. But I just can't pass this opportunity up.
But it turns out I might not even be able to get a refund for the dorms/tuition (amounting to about $500)! However.... I called RMBI and they say "they're not sure" if I can get a refund due to...changing policies, and the guy in charge is out of the country. So, I call the lady in charge of my Chicago gig, and she tells me she must find out by Monday at noon, or else another trumpet player (who really wants to do it, of course) will take my spot. So, I called the lady in charge of the RMBI again, and she says she'll do her best to pass the info onto me about possible refunds by Monday. She was very kind and helpful. So, here I am, having to wait the WHOLE weekend wondering if I'll be able to get even a partial refund.
If I don't get any RMBI refund, I figure I'll just go to the RMBI. If I get even half the money back, I'll do the gig instead. To add to the stress, after work Monday I have to scramble in order to get to an important job interview. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! (okay, there was my vent)
Well, I guess I still have one gig, playing in a brass quintet for a fundraiser event.... yay, I can't wait for that. No, I'm not as sulky IRL as I appear online. =p