Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Giving thanks: stolen trumpet recovered! in the General forums; On this day of Thanksgiving I happy to share that my Monette C trumpet that was stolen in May has ...

Giving thanks: stolen trumpet recovered!

On this day of Thanksgiving I happy to share that my Monette C trumpet that was stolen in May has been recovered and is in excellent condition!

Late last month I got a call from Dean Comley at the Monette shop telling me that he had news of someone having my trumpet. Someone had called the Monette shop to ask about used trumpet values and was referred to Thompson Music. When they called Mike Thompson and started asking questions Mike had a feeling something wasn't right. He got the serial number and the person's contact information, then checked back with the Monette shop on the serial number. They had records of my reporting it stolen, so after Dean's call I was on the phone with Mike.

The person who had the trumpet apparently got it "from a friend who found it in a dumpster." There was no case recovered, yet the trumpet only got one small ding, so the story's authenticity is questionable. Still, I am thrilled to have it returned. The sheriff's detective we have been working with was able to talk the person into returning the trumpet, then picked it up and personally delivered it to me at home.

It goes without saying that I feel both lucky and blessed! I want to acknowledge the many people that offered support or help in the return of my trumpet.

• All the forum members who offered noted of support or sent links to online listings asking if the trumpet for sale might be mine.
    • Detective Jeff Johnson of the King County Sheriff's office.
    • The staff of Monette Corporation, especially Gretchen Willoughby and Dean Comley. I've long known that they are great people and they've shown it yet again.
    • And especially Mike Thompson of thompsonmusic.com and brassdeal.com. If it were not for his alertness, honesty and integrity I would not have the trumpet today.

Support your local music store whenever you can, but when you can't get something locally, I urge you to reward a good person and send your business in Mike's direction. I have not been a customer of his to date, but certainly will be in the future.

It is my pleasure today to not only give thanks for the love of family and friends, a good home, and the ability to play music, but for good people who simply do the right thing as part of their everyday lives.

Happiest Thanksgiving wishes to you and yours!
    Matt Dalton

Re: Giving thanks: stolen trumpet recovered!

Fantastic news! Can you give us a little back ground to the story. Where was the horn stolen from and where was it recovered?

What a Thanksgiving treat for you!

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar

Confuoco, check out http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139...len-34860.html (Monette C Trumpet Stolen)

Matt, can you tell me where that dumpster was? I'd like a Monette too! :)
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thanks for the link.... So did the horn turn up in your town?

Artist in Residence
    Mezzo Forte User

Great ending to the story. Congrats Matt!

Tony

What a great Thanksgiving!

Obviously the thief had NO IDEA how large the network is for this instrument. I hope that justice is served. Cutting the thiefs hand off would be a good start!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgano Brother View Post
    Matt, can you tell me where that dumpster was? I'd like a Monette too! :)
    Classic Vulgano humor...thanks for the best laugh of my day, Jerry!

Quote Originally Posted by confuoco
    Fantastic news! Can you give us a little back ground to the story. Where was the horn stolen from and where was it recovered?
    As you saw from the other thread referenced, it was stolen when our home was burglarized. The person who had it was located in a city about 20 miles South of us. The story given to the detective was that he got the trumpet from the friend who found it in a dumpster a bit West of that city around the 4th of July, but of course there are no supporting facts to the story. If the detective can identify someone I will certainly want them to face charges, but unfortunately it is likely there were 2 or 3 different parties involved and it will be very tough to trace it to the actual thief.
    Matt Dalton

Found in a dumpster.... right

New Friend

hello folks, my trumpet was stolen #2035, 1s-2 made by Dominick and if anyone knows or hears anything about this horn PLEASE email me, please.

thanks
    David - #2035 Callichio 1s/2

Didn't you ever hear that there's a dumpster with a Monette in it at the end of every rainbow!!?! Come on now, the leprecauns love to play a nice C trumpet piece every now and again.
    -Sam Tate

When in doubt, go with the FLOW... musical line, tone production, and resonance.

www.samtate.info
    slt5103@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information