Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Bob Grier
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Giving trumpet lessons in the General forums; I'm not the guy who's winning competitions and getting weekly paid gigs.... I'm more.... "upper-college" level, you could say. I'm ...

Giving trumpet lessons

I'm not the guy who's winning competitions and getting weekly paid gigs.... I'm more.... "upper-college" level, you could say. I'm just looking to teach some pre-college students for experience sake and a little supplemental income. Should I perhaps post ads somehow, or just visit some local high school directors? Or is getting my name "out there" critical, you think? I live in Salt Lake, so it's a fairly large city (but not huge).

I taught a friend for a couple of months about 7 years ago (that long...? Whoa.), and I might consider giving my sister's husband trumpet lessons (he recently picked it back up), but, well, I'd like more than that.

Piano User

Re: Giving trumpet lessons

One of the teachers I took lessons from built up his studio purely by word-of-mouth. No advertising. After a few years he was so full that he had to turn students away. But talking to high-school directors doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Greensboro, NC

I would go to local middle and high schools and give a free clinics. Mt studio filled up quickly. Also go to local music store. Some may let you put up a flier. But remeber teaching is serious business. You will be affecting their future enjoyment of playing. have you taken regular lessons yourself? Don't do it as an after thought or just for the money. You need to learn how to teach. Do you homework. If you are not serious about helping people, don't do it.

If you are seriuos, it can be a very rewarding experience. Of course we are here to help when ever you need it.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Sometimes our own playing takes a BIG jump forward when we get involved again with the basics. Most players do not need a teacher with a doctorate in chop integration. The most dangerous part of teachers not really in the know is giving advice when they don't have a clue about a particular aspect of playing. That leads to frustration for the student.

My firm belief is that teachers are born, not made. If you have the gift of teaching, then you will be just fine. For money, you should have a product worth selling however.............
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

One of the biggest challenges teaching is the ability to say the same thing over and over in different ways until the student gets the point. Much of what we do when playing is pretty esoteric, and explaining it is pretty hard.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

Thread Information