Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Is this good? in the General forums; rowuk sez: I guess you could be considered the big fish in the little pond. In other school systems with ...
    Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Re: Is this good?

rowuk sez:
    I guess you could be considered the big fish in the little pond. In other school systems with more competition, maybe the cards would be dealt differently.
    That's a good point. You may want to check out what people your age are doing on Youtube or other venues to see where you stand.
    Is your ability unusual? As I said before, it just depends.
    Is it musical? Is it consistant?
    When I was your age (15/16) in the 1970's I could play G & A above high C with serious consistency and authority. I could peel the paint off the back wall of an auditorium.
    Was it musical? It depends on how you assess a trumpet screaming at god knows how many decibles and biting off every note like MF.
    I was going through my teenage "trumpet as a musical weapon" phase.

Today? I work on a balanced routine which also incorporates high notes.

You'll go a long way if you are playing high notes correctly and if you follow this advice
    Here's a routine from Marsalis:
    Three hours will allow you to cover all aspects of playing, but 45-60 minutes is enough for one sitting. The quality of the practice is more important than the length of time it takes.

Practice has several basic objectives: sound, slurring, tonguing (single, double, triple), phrasing. The Arban book [Arban's Complete Conservatory Method for Trumpet (Cornet), published by Carl Fischer, 192.] is set up that way.

Try to get as rich and pure a sound as you can -- an "unbrassy" sound, the kind with no metal in it. Louis Armstrong is a good example. His sound is really bright, but not brassy. It has a core that is warm. During the first 15-20 minutes play long tones, soft, from second line G down to low G. For the next 30-45 minutes work with pages 5 and 6 in the Max Schlossberg book [M. Baron, publisher], varying the dynamics and the tempos. Try to play through every slur, getting an even, round sound on every note, and getting over the breaks in the instrument. Also, exercises 59 and 60 in the Schlossberg book are good to strengthen your lips.

Take a break.

Use the Second Study (page 8) in the Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies [Carl Fischer]. Work on velocity, with a metronome, in major and minor keys. Slur some, tongue some, and double tongue some. Also work on the "kah" syllable. Go straight up the scale, starting with the middle C (exercise 32). In the Arban book there is a series of exercises to work on your single tongue attack. Number 19 on 28 is especially good. Try to get a nice round attack with some "pop" in it.

Then you can open an etude book. Theo Charlier: Etudes Transcendantes [Leduc] is good for advanced players, or the Arban book for others. Do some double/triple tonguing exercises. That's another hour on tonguing.

Take a break.

Now deal a little more with slurring, but not too much; you don't want to kill yourself. Work out of a book like Advanced Lip Flexibilities [Charles Colin, author and publisher]. Then do some phrasing exercises out of the Arban book.

Finally, play some characteristic studies from Arban, or etudes from Charlier or Schlossberg. When you play these etudes, or any exercise, always go straight through without a stop the first time. Then go back and practice the places you had difficulty. Play everything -- no matter how trivial or trite it might be -- with dynamics and sound and musical expression.
    My own addition to this is to keep working on the high notes (4 or 5 minutes) but make sure you're not using a bunch of mouthpiece pressure to do it.

New Friend

Thanks for all your advice I practice all the time.I love music so much and the funny thing is I started in 6th grade but everyone started in 5th grade. I mostly asked about range is because that seems to be the only category that everyone isn't exactly good at. All of us sound exactly the same on regular music and high notes is where I shine. i'm didn't know if this is average or what. (cause I'm a big fish in a little pond.

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by guitarsrmine View Post
    When I was in 7th grade, I was already better than most of the upper-class trumpet players,and I was playing 3rd trumpet in orchestra. The 2 guys who sat 1st and 2nd chair were seniors,and I coulda showed them up, but I waited my turn. When I was a sophomore, at auditions, my teacher told me I did better than the senior trumpet player, but she "couldnt give me 1st chair",even though I played WAY better-she didnt want a fight with the senior boy's parents! But,my junior and senior years,I ruled the roost!! Be patient,AND supportive-your day will come!! Dont hot-dog it! Remember, there's no "I" in team!!!
    I don't say anything about it, everyone does a good job and I do my best to be supportive. I become 1st chair during,marching season, while the other 1st chair is drum major. Once I'm a senior I can rule the trumpets.
    Last edited by Aarix; 01-02-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information