Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Good or bad? Storing trumpet in trunk of car? in the General forums; Question for all of you... Does weather or temperature change affect these instruments? Right now the temp is below freezing, ...
    New Friend
    Toronto, Ontario

Good or bad? Storing trumpet in trunk of car?

Question for all of you...

Does weather or temperature change affect these instruments? Right now the temp is below freezing, usually around -5 or -10 celsius in the winter (probably around 25 F, don't really know the American conversion)

If i keep the horn in the car, that won't cause any damage i'm assuming? The metal will expand slightly in the warm and cool in the cold? Or will that gum up the valves or slide?

It's just that i don't want to carry the case around with me all day to keep it warm, also carrying briefcase, bags, lunch, etc... my hands are full already

Banned Mezzo Piano User

Re: Good or bad? Storing trumpet in trunk of car?

If you had a wodden instrument under tension I would say yes the trunk could be a killer if the tempature extremes where great enough but a brass instrument that is oiled and lubed and stored in a case is going to be fine. In fact a trunk is normaly not as hot or dusty as an attic and is not as damp as a basement. Most trunks are either clean or just have a paper mess in them. It is not like you are hauling play ground sand loose in your trunk or storing corrsive chemicals open to the trunk and such. Iwould put an eyelet inthe carpet or velcro and then attach a strap just to keep the crash cash from flying around in the event you have a serious accident!

Kalamazoo, Michigan

Just allow plenty of time for it to get back to indoor temps before, as I am sure you know, or you will be very flat, etc. As LV555 said, properly lubed and oiled, there should be no damage. I once put my American Standard in the freezer overnight, than ran hot water over stuck tuning slide to get it loosened and there were no other effects to the horn afterwards.
    Dave Rafferty
    Spartan for Life
    ???? Barrington trumpet
    1968 Besson 2-20 trumpet
    1960's B & H Embassy trumpet
    1967 Conn Connquest cornet
    ???? Devillier (stencil) Trumpet German?
    ???? Besson 609
    1957 Besson 8-10 Trumpet
    Portage Senior Center Dance Band
    Kalamazoo Checkers Swing Band

Mezzo Forte User

Hot/Cold=bad for lacquer. Yes metal will expand contract, stressing any finish. IMO, I don't like the idea of any precision instrument bouncing around in the trunk unnecessarily. The case will suffer external wear, also. Then, there is the increased chance of theft at stake.
    Last edited by Bachstul; 02-12-2009 at 11:44 AM.

There is no issue in the trunk except theft. Trumpets are made out of metal, the laquer used is relatively soft and flexible. I travel quite a bit and none of my instruments (or cases) have ever suffered.

If it means you are practicing more - go for it!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Chesapeake, VA

yeah... don't sweat the storage... you might want to make sure your car insurance will cover it in case of theft or damage though. I had my trumpet added to my auto policy for $2 more a month... not a lot for the piece of mind that if my car was stolen or broken into I would get fair market value for my horn instead of just being out a horn.
    "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~A. Einstein

Check out my boy Mark Ingraham...

Forte User
    Indianapolis, In

I agree with Robin, but make sure the instrument has time to aclimate before you start to play. I left an instrument in the car in very cold weather one day all day and then took it out to play a rehearsal that evening. I basically had a brass ice cube. Frozen valves etc.

Forte User
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Living in Michigan during one of the most severe winters on record and doing a good bit of travel to get to rehearsals my horns that I keep in the back of my car get a goodly dose of hypothermia. Other than breathing through them before a rehearsal to warm them up so that their intonation is reasonable I can find no deleterious effect of the severe cold. During the summer the heat in the back of my car gets pretty darned sultry. Again, no damage to my instruments.

The cautions about theft insurance and jostling are readily resolved. The insurance is cheap and a minor bit of bracing with other detritus in the trunk will keep the horn cases from leaping about in their moorings. Just a bit of common sense is all that is required.

Couturier trumpet
    York Wizard by Couturier cornet
    York Master Model trumpet
    York Elite trumpet
    York Airflow cornet
    Conn Concert Grand Cornet
    King Liberty trumpet
    Reynolds Professional cornet
    Bohm & Meinl professional trumpet
    Conn New World Symphony trumpet
    Olds Special cornet Los Angeles
    B&H Sovereign cornet
    G.R.Band Instr. cornet
    Getzen Super Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Getzen Deluxe trumpet and cornet
    Many others no room to list

Mezzo Piano User Brass crusader's Avatar
    Buffalo, NY/ Hartford, CT

Being from Buffalo, the cold is something we're used to. I left my Callet in the backseat of a car for about three hours prior to a gig that I was playing lead on, I got to the gig, pulled out the horn and also had a trumpet-shaped ice cube. I'm not even going to mention how the mouthpiece felt...
    AFM Local 400

Ithaca NY

I keep the mouthpiece in my pocket, or if I forget I run it under hot water for enough time to warm it up. I hug and rub my horn with my hands if there is time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information