Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss good cleaning proceedure in the General forums; Originally Posted by scrap Take your valve pistons, bottom valve caps, tuning slides, valve slides, and of course mouthpiece of ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: good cleaning proceedure

Quote Originally Posted by scrap View Post
    Take your valve pistons, bottom valve caps, tuning slides, valve slides, and of course mouthpiece of of the horn. allow all of the parts to soak in warm (not hot) water with dish detergent in it. make sure the water level is about 1/3-1/2 way up the bell when he horn is resting on its side. after soaking for a bit, take a valve casing brush to the valve casings, and a snake brush to all of the slides, the holes in the valves, and the leadpipe (be prepared for some nastiness from here if you haven't cleaned your horn before.) then take a washcloth or soft rag and wipe off the outside of the horn, the valve pistons, and the inside of the bottom valve caps. Be sure to get in all the little crevices and such. Wipe the parts dry and set them on a dry towel to air a bit, then re-oil the valves, re-grease the slides, and but your horn back together. wash the mouthpiece frequently with hot water and use a ,mouthpiece brush or q-tip in the event of massive buildup(I've had this problem before and used rubbing alcohol to clean it was actually easier to play afterward...) If you have a silver/ raw brass horn i would recommend polishing, THEN bathing, to assure that all of the polishing agents have been removed.
    Just a couple of issues Scrap, the need to thoroughly rinse any detergent from your trumpet before allowing it to dry, lubricate, and re-assembly.

My take on the polishing of silverplated instruments is that it should be carried out AFTER reassembly following washing because the repolish lasts a lot longer in that order - seems the blue polishing cloths have some "secret ju jube juice" that provides ongoing protection.

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Mesa, Az

I realize this is an OLDER thread... but I wanted to add something "new" that I've been trying (at least new to me), and I don't recall if I have even seen this mentioned in cleaning procedures before...

after cleaning and during the reassembly stage...

I have started putting ONE small drop of slide grease on the threading of my top and bottom valve caps to ensure they don't get "stuck". I've only been trying this for a few months, but thus far it is working wonderfully.

1990 Getzen Eterna 700 Trumpet
    1958 Conn 28A Connstellation Long Cornet
    1945 Buescher LP 225 Trumpet
    1948 Olds Studio Trumpet
    Triebert Moderne / Couesnon Flugelhorn
    ~Loyalist Websites~
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart, DMA

That works well. Been doing it for years.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Greensboro, NC

I use WD-40 on everything that has threads.
    Bob Grier, An Old Pro
    Web Cam trumpet & jazz improvisation lessons

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information