Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss good cleaning proceedure in the General forums; Hi, Friends; any recommendations for good rinse /cleaning of my Bach 200 ? been using baking soda and warm water ...

The Wide Brown Land

Re: good cleaning proceedure

Lacquered, silver or gold-plated?

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Fortissimo User
    Greenfield WI

When you're in Atlanta, go visit Rich Ita in Marietta and ask for a lesson in cleaning the horn.

Buescher Lightweight 400
    Other Buescher horns 1939--1955
    Al Cass 1-28 mouthpiece
    Humes and Berg mutes

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    ... been using baking soda and warm water previously, doesnt seem to work well on this horn.
    I think you have a few different processes mixed up. Baking soda is not a detergent or emulsifier. If you are cleaning the insides from general dirt and crud, All you need is some gentle dish soap (Ivory or Dove) in the warm water plus a good snake brush and valve casing brush for most of the stuff that collects.

If you have a really bad case of mineral build-up (rare), then something like CLR may be required. However, that is a more advanced process and needs to be done with care.

If your trumpet is silver plated and you are trying to clean the outside from tarnish, a soak in hot salt water on a sheet of aluminum foil will remove the tarnish. A sliver polishing rag will also do that but it removes metal (gradually) where the salt bath does not.

If you are trying to clean up the sound of the notes that come out - well, practice is the best solution for that.

Good luck.
    TrumpetMD likes this.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

make sure you clean where the sun don't shine its those little thing we ignore that get us into trouble later

Have a look on David Monettes website , Ill try to find the link, it has some great trumpet cleaning tips on there.

For the best clean of the inside of a mouthpiece, use tooth paste on the mouthpiece brush and make sure you rinse it out completely before using.

New Friend

I use silver polish for the outside and for the tube connecting parts (where sometimes it changes color to black, red and green, silver polish completely cleans that out if you rub it long enough). For the inside, I would usually use dish soap, however if there is a mineral build up- I've soaked my lead pipe in lemon juice and that cleared out most of the build up.

Pianissimo User
    York, South Carolina

Take your valve pistons, bottom valve caps, tuning slides, valve slides, and of course mouthpiece of of the horn. allow all of the parts to soak in warm (not hot) water with dish detergent in it. make sure the water level is about 1/3-1/2 way up the bell when he horn is resting on its side. after soaking for a bit, take a valve casing brush to the valve casings, and a snake brush to all of the slides, the holes in the valves, and the leadpipe (be prepared for some nastiness from here if you haven't cleaned your horn before.) then take a washcloth or soft rag and wipe off the outside of the horn, the valve pistons, and the inside of the bottom valve caps. Be sure to get in all the little crevices and such. Wipe the parts dry and set them on a dry towel to air a bit, then re-oil the valves, re-grease the slides, and but your horn back together. wash the mouthpiece frequently with hot water and use a ,mouthpiece brush or q-tip in the event of massive buildup(I've had this problem before and used rubbing alcohol to clean it was actually easier to play afterward...) If you have a silver/ raw brass horn i would recommend polishing, THEN bathing, to assure that all of the polishing agents have been removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information