Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Good Intermediate Horns in the General forums; Originally Posted by PierceG Hey guys, I'm in serious need of a new trumpet, and I think something in the ...

Re: Good Intermediate Horns

Quote Originally Posted by PierceG View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm in serious need of a new trumpet, and I think something in the intermediate range would suit me best.

I'm not too particular about what it is. It just needs to be a decent all-around horn that will last me a long time. I'm also on a pretty tight budget ($1,000 would really be pushing it).

The one that's stood out the most to me based simply off online reviews and specs is the YTR-4335G. But obviously I'm not committed to this, and I'd like to hear your suggestions on reasonably priced horns.

when you ask the world, you will get very diversified answers. I'll try and put them into perspective:
    a student horn (and in most cases the "intermediate" version) are built to be durable, easy to play and in tune. The durable comes at the cost of sound quality and projection.
    Pro horns are built with sound quality first, then intonation and easy to play. Many of them have all three of these in more than ample quantity!

A used horn only makes sense if it is in good shape and plays well. This means that you buy from a reputable source, or play before you pay.

The Yamaha that you mention is a solid horn that will last for a long time. The Yamaha 6xxx is a pro horn that is easy to play and if in good condition will knock your socks off! It is easily better for anyone that is mature enough to take proper care of it.

A used Bach is 100% play before you pay. Mine rotted out from under me inside of 6 years. A new leadpipe and tuning slide were necessary. 6 years later, the next set as well as a valve job. I played this horn a lot. As far as the Kanstul for <$500, I am not sure. I think the Yamaha 4xxx is a safer bet!

The bottom line is that NONE of us can take the decision away from you. I do suggest considering a used pro horn. You should play before you pay AND take a second set of ears that you trust (like a teacher) and compare that Yamaha to the pro horns. I am 100% sure in a blind test, many of the internet "experts" could not back up their posts.

Good luck!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User
    Omaha NE

The best and most widely used intermediate horns are the getzen eterna series, you can also try jupiter pro line horns because even though they are priced for proffesional horns they play like student or intermediate horns :)

Mezzo Forte User
    Los Angeles

I second the Getzen 700 Eterna. I've had mine for almost 20 years and while I don't play it much anymore, I've always been happy with the sound below high C (above it gets a little tinny for me). Used it on a nationally syndicated jingle package. Best valves around.

A few hundred more and you'll be buying a Yamaha pro trumpet. The Bergeron and the Shew are two you should look into, both well under 2K new and around 1K used.

Ed - Ed Mann - 52 - Male - LA, California -

Forte User
    Clarksburg, WV

Hi Pierce,
    Cost is a major determining factor when purchasing something. However, buy in haste, suffer at leasure. If I were you I'd see about a pro horn.
    Think about it, how long will you have the mid level horn before you start saying to yourself, "This mid level horn is good but I just wonder if its holding me back?"
    I'm guessing three to four years.
    Then, once you've committed to the idea that the mid level horn is holding you back, you'll then have to deal with saving up the money to buy a pro horn and you probably will not recoup the cash spent on the first horn if you resell it.
    See what clever (interest free)payment plans you can find and go for the pro horn.
    See giardinelli, musician friend, goodys ect.
    This way you can never say to yourself, "Gosh, I wonder if this mid level horn is holding me back?"

New Friend

Ok, so I've gotten the impression I should just go for a pro-level horn that isn't too extreme. I think I'm going to avoid the Strad, because it seems that they're sort of finicky, but I'll start looking for some used Yamaha 6xxx's and Getzen Eternas for a start.

Thanks a lot.

You can get a used pro horn for that $1000. That's your best bet

Mezzo Piano User

Quote Originally Posted by PierceG View Post
    Well, I'm not sure if I want a pro-level horn. If I buy one, is there a legitimate concern that I'll have trouble playing it? I'm playing probably at a low college level right now.
    you wont have any trouble playing a pro horn. i am a freshman i played for six years and i havent had any trouble playing my pro horn or any others i have played

as for the cheap intermediate horn my friend got a rather new strad for 500, although its laquered i think it plays fairly well, its not as good as mine but thats a personal opinion
    good luck in your hunt
    1970 Bach Stradivarius 37
    1970s Buescher Aristocrat-student horn
    2012 Dynasty Professional Marching Trumpet

Raiders Drum and Bugle Corps-'11, '12

Why G bugles need to come back to DCI

Other stuff:
    Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 2002
    Honda Fourtrax 300 2x4 1998
    Polaris Indy 500 1998
    Polaris 550 2-up 2007
    Polaris 800 XCR 1999 with custom suspension

Clarksville, Tennessee, U

A good pro horn used is the best bet. Pro horns are actually easier to play than beginner horns. My son started out on a Bach Strad 37 that we paid $600 for. Less than the cost of a new beginner horn.

Intermediate horns are a waste of money.
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information