Trumpet Discussion Discuss Good mouthpiece exercises in the General forums; okay my band director is sending in my old aristocrat to get fixed and i currently have just a mouthpiece. ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Good mouthpiece exercises

okay my band director is sending in my old aristocrat to get fixed and i currently have just a mouthpiece. its pretty depressing going from a trumpet to this little mouthpiece. during band i use his TR300, but at home i just have my mouthpiece. this is probably going to be the situation for at least a week. does anybody have any good exercises i can use that could improve my playing. with my horn i am pretty accomplished and i can scream pretty high, but i was hoping maybe with a mouthpiece i can not only improve my lower note tone, which isnt superior compared to how it could be and strengthen my embouchere.
    does anybody here at trumpetmaster know of anyway i can do this with only a mouthpiece?

Moderator Utimate User Vulgano Brother's Avatar
    Parts Unknown

Re: Good mouthpiece exercises

Check this out: - document sharing - download James Stamp - Trumpet method.pdf

James Stamp is the mouthpiece guru and longtime studio first-call. The book is well worth buying, too.

Check this out as well: HÃ¥kan Hardenberger and his Warm Up Routine.
    Last edited by Vulgano Brother; 03-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    "A tool good enough to be so used and not too good"
    C.S. Lewis That Hideous Strength

If you can't get the books and since you only have to do this for a week. Just get your mouthpiece- remember the most important thing about using just your mouthpiece, don't push too hard!!!. Just start low and slur high and keep doing that starting at different notes(e.g. start at c, then d the e etc.) then do the same going down.

Play all of the same things that you did with the trumpet - just softly. There is no reason to start anything new or unknown. The mouthpiece does not have to be a limitation if we are only talking about a week or 2. Maybe you have a free period in between where your teachers horn is available too. Show initiative, that is good for you and will show your teacher how much you care!!!!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thanks for the Stamp! I'm going to try these...also found a really good explanation (especially page 3) here:

Have fun,

Piano User

All of the above are great suggestions. I would add that just playing simple melodies on the mouthpiece would be helpful, particularly since you'll have your horn in a week.. Personally, I play about ten minutes daily on the mouthpiece alone. Its the first thing I do each day.
    Roy Griffin

Thread Information