Trumpet Discussion Discuss A good practice method in the General forums; So i moved a couple weeks ago to a new city so i had to say goodbye to my old ...
    New Friend

A good practice method

So i moved a couple weeks ago to a new city so i had to say goodbye to my old teacher. right now i'm looking for a teacher so in the meantime i was playing by myself the problem is that i don't have a good practicing method so i can't keep in shape when playing my trumpet. does some know a good method for practicing that i can play everyday so my playing won't get worse? at least until i find a descent teacher...
    Trumpet: Yamaha 4335g

Fortissimo User
    Yorba Linda, CA

Re: A good practice method

I assume that your previous teacher gave you a routine to use so for now just continue that. If not, use the Arbans book. Remember that Arbans is not designed to start on page 1 and go straight through. Each section goes from easy to hard. So, pick 4 sections (arpeggios, triple-tonguing, etc) that you want to work on and then go through each of those until you have them down. Add the never-ending standard exercises (long tones, lip slurs, etc) and practice some solos. By then, you should have a new teacher.

Good luck.
    Come-Back Kid
    - - - - - - - - -
    Selmer Invicta London ('56)
    Olds Recording ('58, '59, '60)
    Olds Super ('51, '63, '66, '67, '68, '69)
    Olds Standard ('46)
    Olds SuperStar ('71, '72)
    Olds Studio ('55, '59, '70)
    Olds Special ('51, '56, '58, '60, '62,'68,'73)
    Olds Ambassador (a few: '49-'79)
    Olds Flugelhorn ('70)
    (+Eastman, Besson 609 , Conn Director, King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, Blessing Accord,
    Conn Severinsen, York, Yamaha, Getzen, Amati, Revelle, Bundy, Alcazar)

Re: A good practice method

What ComeBackKid said. Also, if you have a way to record your playing and listening to how you do every so often, try doing that... just make sure it's not crappy quality.

Also, I'd encourage you to listen to recordings of great trumpet players (who you'd like to emulate) a couple times during the course of your practice. It could be as simple of some trumpet player in a an orchestra, that you don't know the name of, playing Mahler's Symphony No. 5. This can work wonders with building your tone (in my experience) as you try to emulate their sound, assuming you are practicing good habits.

Also, don't forget to slowly building up your tempos in an organized manner using a metronome when doing exercises.

Thread Information