This post may be for the younger players but hopefully it can be useful to all. Like all of us I dont practice enough. Yes, I play regularly but dont consider the time I do put in to the horn enough personally. I think we all feel, at times, that we wish we had more time to just play music. That being said, I have played a tech week this week with a show which has included three hour rehearsals Sun through Wed. and a preview show Thurs. of 2 1/2 hours. One show Friday night and Two shows Saturday. I realized last night as I was starting to feel it that if I did not have a warm up rountine to get me ready and a good, relaxed approach to playing I would not be able to make it.

Some guys can just pick the horn up and play all day, others need to get ready and be more methodical about it. Find a routine that works for you and stick to it. Also, a relaxed approach to the instrument works. I try to eliminate as much tension as possible and us air to make the horn work. This is one of the biggest thing I see going wrong in young players, they equate sound to tension and over effort.

Just a some ideas, see ya.