Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Grades... in the General forums; All the best musicians I have known are not just good at music: they are good at life. If you ...
    Provo, UT

Re: Grades...

All the best musicians I have known are not just good at music: they are good at life. If you want to be a professional musician, then fine, go for it. However, College--especially as an undergraduate--is about developing "the whole man." You cannot use 'music' as an excuse for bad grades, because most trumpet teachers at colleges see poor grades as a poor work ethic. It's usually true, too. If you're willing to put hours in on your trumpet, I don't see why you wouldn't be willing to put in enough effort to get a B or an A in your classes. It takes maybe a 1/2 hour to 1 hour a day, depending on your workload. I remember that, during my senior year of high school, I had a 4-hour-a-day job. Somehow, I found time to practice 2.5 hours a day and I still graduated as a valedictorian. Let me tell you, I was pretty busy, but it was certainly possible to get all my work done. The key was this: I didn't waste time! Hope that helps. You can definitely get your GPA up a lot if your work hard NOW. It does matter. Good luck.

New Friend

I've got to compare the "I'm going to play trumpet for a living, what do I need grades for" to many -- and I mean MANY -- athletes who are admitted to college on a special admission to play a sport. They're offered a low or no cost college education and let academics slide with the attitude that they will be a pro athlete. Many have to leave school after losing their eligibility and have to make a living cutting grass for the local rec department (or tending bar, etc.) when they can't make a pro team.

Don't waste a shot at an education. Get the grades up by putting effort into your academic subjects. WORK is the answer -- even if it means getting help from teachers or tutors. You'd be amazed at the difference a few As make on the overall GPA and you still have over a year to do it. Count the work as paying your dues. You'll develop a work ethic that will allow you to do things that you don't like well, just as you do things that you like well.

In college, find a major or at least a minor that you like that will augment a music career -- or supplant it if you have to. Music Education, Arts Management, and Business/Finance come to mind. You'll find that coursework in a discipline that you really like isn't nearly as much like work and that it's easy to do well. You will come out of it with credentials that will help you do well, or will allow you eat and pay the bills if playing must become a second job. This does not mean that you're sacrificing your goal, or that you're not confident in your ability as a musician. It means that you're smart enough to have a back up plan. Music degree programs are some of the most time intensive courses of study on any campus and are some of the hardest to complete successfully in less than 5 years.

If you really want to go into a branch of the armed services, a degree will allow you to do so as a officer with advancement and earnings potential that far exceed what a high school diploma (yes, it's a diploma -- degrees are only awarded at colleges and universities) gets you.

Seems like a lot of serious stuff to think about as a 16 or 17 year old. Better to think about it now than to regret not thinking later.

Good Luck!

Indianapolis, Indiana

Wow...I can not believe this thread has extended this long. Grades? Get R Done!
    Indianapolis, Indiana

"It is not necessary to understand music;
    it is only necessary that one enjoy it"
    Leopold Stanislaw Stokowski

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information