Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Great players and bad habits in the General forums; Originally Posted by jtpowell I'm paraphrasing Claude Gordon I think here but he said something to this affect to one ...
    New Friend

Re: Great players and bad habits

Quote Originally Posted by jtpowell View Post
    I'm paraphrasing Claude Gordon I think here but he said something to this affect to one of his students when asked how come they couldn't play like person x was. "When you get as good as them then you can play however you like. Until that time...."

Think about when you learned how to drive. Both hands on the wheel, 10 and 2. full 3 second stops, etc., etc. Now after you have been driving for 25 years you can lean back, have the radio on, and roll around with one hand on the wheel. You can even adjust your mirrors while driving! You don't do that while you're in drivers ed or probably not while newly licensed. You do those things after you've been on the road for a while. I wouldn't automatically assumed because someone drives that way that is the way they were taught.

I'm a new horn player here and I appreciate being taught such fundamentals. For me that makes the path between operating the horn and making music a lot easier. There will be plenty of time for my own character, style, and personal habits. Notice I said personal not bad.

Great post, although I'm about a year short of learning how to drive. This post wasn't actually about me, I listen to everything my band director tells since he's been playing trumpet long than I've even been alive, the aim of this post was about arrogant players that think they're the better than Bud Herseth because of a pinkie. If you read the comments of any youtube video show casing a famous trumpet player, you're bound to find least 15 idiots criticizing them because that player plays slightly differently than they were taught. That kind of closemindedness was more what I meant.

Hong Kong

I think it's great that you have discovered that making good music is what it's all about! It's good to see young players searching and thinking about their instrument and music making, and not totally focused on 'higher, louder, faster'. Just be careful that you don't use it as an excuse for not taking care of the fundamentals as you develop as a player.
    All the best,
    Adrian Kelly
    t/wb: @AdrianTpt
    fb: Adrian Kelly

Adrian is an endorsing artist for the Conn-Selmer company, and performs on Vincent Bach instruments. Adrian performs on mouthpieces by Stork Custom.

Adrian's latest CD "Chinese Whispers 細語" is available now from

Rochester, NY

Good stuff, Adrian.

Comment reserved about someone else's pedagogy.
    Last edited by Dave Hughes; 07-07-2011 at 01:27 AM.
    Yamaha Xeno
    '54 Conn 28b Connstellation

Warburton 1MD/Austin Custom Brass A1 Backbore
    Bach 1D (custom rim)
    Austin Custom Brass, Custom Lead Mouthpiece (14A-A1)

"There's no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger & unhappiness"
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

San Pedro

this is really a great thread ...
    Robin's comments always solid .... loved the ice block.. too funny .. I would send my son to him for lessons just for the analogies alone
    The forums are really hard to size up where someone is coming from.. weither it's some disgruntled kid who is seeking validation or an honest inquiry.
    Just don't want to see us chase away the open minded ones who ask the touchy questions...
    but great answers from all ... which is why I dig this forum
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

+1 on the Rowuk ice block story. ".... thaw time to think about the consequences."

Trumpets are for extroverts - Lee Morgan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information