Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Grrr...High notes! in the General forums; Seriously, somethings not right with my range anymore. I switched from a 5c mouthpiece to a 3c mouth piece. There ...
    Pianissimo User

Grrr...High notes!

Seriously, somethings not right with my range anymore. I switched from a 5c mouthpiece to a 3c mouth piece. There was a short period of glory when I could hit F above staff and hold it without dying, and my high E was solid.

Now, I struggle with my range. It's crazy! With my 5c mouthpiece I didn't have such a problem of C above staff like I do now.

Should I switch to 7c? I really need to be able to play high and bright notes again.

I've been slurring like my teacher told me, pencil exercise, and petal tones but somehow I'm getting worse. I think my embrouchure is bad. So please, what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by rowuk; 06-17-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Pianissimo User

Re: Grrr...High notes!

It's because you're still getting acclimated to your new mouthpiece. Give it time, and a bit of extra long tone practice and you should get right back into playing high again. But such a major change to your mouthpiece will require time to get used to, your embouchure just has to adapt a little.

I don't believe the pencil exercise actually works, haha. I've never encountered someone where it actually does work. Playing pedal tones probably won't help you much either, just do basic exercises. :)

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    It's because you're still getting acclimated to your new mouthpiece. Give it time, and a bit of extra long tone practice and you should get right back into playing high again. But such a major change to your mouthpiece will require time to get used to, your embouchure just has to adapt a little.

I don't believe the pencil exercise actually works, haha. I've never encountered someone where it actually does work. Playing pedal tones probably won't help you much either, just do basic exercises. :)
    How long will that take. I feel like I'm getting worse as time goes by. Also my embrouchure changes involuntarily when I play now.

New Friend

Passion,

The absolute LAST thing you want to do to help with your range is use a new piece of equipment as a crutch. One of the best screamers I ever met played on an absolute BUCKET of a mouthpiece, it was huge, and he could blast out double Gs like you wouldn't believe. This is the exercise I use for range expansion: start a slur on G in staff, down to F#, up to G, up to A, down to G, down to E, and down to C. Then, repeat, but slur from the A up to a C, then back down. Then, add a D, an E, and so on. If you want, I can get you a copy of the entire exercise that I use for my lessons. I've found it works really well not only for expanding your range, but as part of a daily routine to get your high chops warmed up.
    Mary Kate a.k.a. "Wyntona"

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he wouldn't bother trying to say it in music."
    ~Gustav Mahler

Schilke B5
    Warburton 3M-12star

Henderson State University
    Showband of Arkansas
    Go Reddies!

Pianissimo User

You could hit F above double C, and your high E was solid? So, you had over an octave of unsolid range? When you say double C, do you actually mean double C, or do you mean the C two lines above the staff?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrapa View Post
    Well, to be honest, breathing is kind of over-rated. Personally, I think it's for wimps. It may look like I'm breathing, but that's just for show. I haven't actually inhaled since 1997.

Passion
    First of all, you did not read my sticky post about high notes. Double C is more than one whole octave above the staff. There is no way that you can play that note - much less the F above it!
    Second, who told you to switch mouthpieces and why? Try putting on some size 12 shoes and then running for any distance, you will fall on your face.
    Third, if your range is messed up between a 5c and a 3c, you never earned it. They are not that much different. The problem is you, not the hardware.
    Fourth, you have a teacher and claim slurs, pedal tones and pencil. Obviously something is very wrong.

O.K., this all sounds tough, but everytime school lets out, we get tons of disaster posts about how messed up life on the trumpet is. The reasons are always the same: lack of a decent routine centered on decent music, complaints about a high range that was never earned and notes played that never were.

I get the impression that many posters here do not read the other posts with the exact same information. They all demand to be spoon fed over the internet by others with some magic recipe to solve all ailments without having to really play for them. Hiding behind that anonymity makes it easy to claim the impossible. Chop advice without working with you in person is not serious. two minutes of playing tells a real teacher essentially the whole story that years over the net can't.

Passion,
    even without ever having seen or heard you play, I see the following: You never had a really reliable high C, you can't be really PRACTICING more than 15 minutes a day. You haven't spent any time reading the other recent 500 posts asking about smaller mouthpieces and them being WORTHLESS for range.

My recommendation: 20 minutes of pianissimo long tones and slurs per day. 30 minutes of easy tunes and articulation exercizes, then take a break. Come back an hour later and play some advanced music and finally some technical studies. If you have a buddy available, play duets as often as possible.

Getting serious always produces results. Use the mouthpiece that you had success with last year in school. Throw the rest of them away. Don't ever change unless you have a real reason. That reason will NEVER be range.

Build range to a solid high C above the staff. Notes higher than that are reserved for the serious players that have a real daily routine and have stuck to it for MONTHS. We always measure our success or failure in months, never days.

I am tough because I hate BS. It wastes your time and mine. If you are serious, get a real routine like I outlined and post about your monster chops in September. I never feel sorry for players that change mouthpieces. They made the decision before they were ready, not me.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by mkmtrumpeter View Post
    Passion,

The absolute LAST thing you want to do to help with your range is use a new piece of equipment as a crutch. One of the best screamers I ever met played on an absolute BUCKET of a mouthpiece, it was huge, and he could blast out double Gs like you wouldn't believe. This is the exercise I use for range expansion: start a slur on G in staff, down to F#, up to G, up to A, down to G, down to E, and down to C. Then, repeat, but slur from the A up to a C, then back down. Then, add a D, an E, and so on. If you want, I can get you a copy of the entire exercise that I use for my lessons. I've found it works really well not only for expanding your range, but as part of a daily routine to get your high chops warmed up.
    Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! I need it! Can you email the exercise?

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    Passion
    First of all, you did not read my sticky post about high notes. Double C is more than one whole octave above the staff. There is no way that you can play that note - much less the F above it!
    Second, who told you to switch mouthpieces and why? Try putting on some size 12 shoes and then running for any distance, you will fall on your face.
    Third, if your range is messed up between a 5c and a 3c, you never earned it. They are not that much different. The problem is you, not the hardware.
    Fourth, you have a teacher and claim slurs, pedal tones and pencil. Obviously something is very wrong.

O.K., this all sounds tough, but everytime school lets out, we get tons of disaster posts about how messed up life on the trumpet is. The reasons are always the same: lack of a decent routine centered on decent music, complaints about a high range that was never earned and notes played that never were.

I get the impression that many posters here do not read the other posts with the exact same information. They all demand to be spoon fed over the internet by others with some magic recipe to solve all ailments without having to really play for them. Hiding behind that anonymity makes it easy to claim the impossible. Chop advice without working with you in person is not serious. two minutes of playing tells a real teacher essentially the whole story that years over the net can't.

Passion,
    even without ever having seen or heard you play, I see the following: You never had a really reliable high C, you can't be really PRACTICING more than 15 minutes a day. You haven't spent any time reading the other recent 500 posts asking about smaller mouthpieces and them being WORTHLESS for range.

My recommendation: 20 minutes of pianissimo long tones and slurs per day. 30 minutes of easy tunes and articulation exercizes, then take a break. Come back an hour later and play some advanced music and finally some technical studies. If you have a buddy available, play duets as often as possible.

Getting serious always produces results. Use the mouthpiece that you had success with last year in school. Throw the rest of them away. Don't ever change unless you have a real reason. That reason will NEVER be range.

Build range to a solid high C above the staff. Notes higher than that are reserved for the serious players that have a real daily routine and have stuck to it for MONTHS. We always measure our success or failure in months, never days.

I am tough because I hate BS. It wastes your time and mine. If you are serious, get a real routine like I outlined and post about your monster chops in September. I never feel sorry for players that change mouthpieces. They made the decision before they were ready, not me.
    I thought a double C was one above the staff, I'm sorry. I didn't know! No, I'm not trying to claim the impossible, I'm just not very familar with identifying notes I guess.

The C I'm speaking of is that one right above the staff. And then the E and F above that C. You know what I'm saying?

And I'm new to this forum, I have read other posts but not all. I didn't come here to waste my time by bragging, I came here for help but I seem to have unrealistic expectations so this forum is like a reality check, lulz.

And I do practice more than 15 minutes a day. I practice alot actually, I try to do 45 minute sessions with break about 5 times a day and I listen to music alot. I'm not even lying. I do the slurs, petal tone, and pencil exercise. I improved slurs and petal tone and pencil exercise. I'm not sure what happened, but my range really did change a bit. I dont know what happened.

When I first went to 3C, I noticed playing high notes was so much easier and better, and then overtime it just got harder. Though I think I apply too much pressure to my face maybe.
    Last edited by Passion; 06-17-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Passion,
    just get serious and everything else will work out. The first lesson is to look at yourself in the mirror before blogging. Every great player made their own decisions, learned what was common sense by analysing themselves and did what was necessary.

To be honest, only YOU can help yourself. Deep down you know what is necessary. The internet makes it easy to ask questions, but if you don't even have a realistic view of yourself, how can we help? Your level of independence will create or prevent your success. Get to work. All of those "exercizes" that anybody can recommend are only useful in the correct context. A dictionary will not help you for most math tests.

A solid daily routine, a bit of a brain and some open ears are the ONLY answer. There is no other way!

Now go do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post

Pseudonym,
    I know plenty of players where both work. The pencil exercize can get the corners tightened up very quickly and only cost 5 minutes per day max. Pedal tones are an integral part of most successful advanced methods. They are only useful in ADDITION to a solid daily routine - even for beginners.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information