Trumpet Discussion Discuss guitar amplifiers for trumpet? in the General forums; Hi! I've started to play with effects lately such as a wah -wah pedal and some distortion pedals through a ...

guitar amplifiers for trumpet?

Hi!

I've started to play with effects lately such as a wah -wah pedal and some distortion pedals through a PA however does it work to play trumpet through a guitar amplifier (Fender 100 W)?

My 'setup' looks like this :

Trumpet (with mic) ---> Mic Pre Amp ---> Wah-Wah ---> PA

Is it possible to just connect my horn to a guitar amp instead of the PA? Lastly, because of the difference between the signals of a trumpet and a guitar, are there any dangers that I might just blow up the guitar amp if I use it with trumpet or that anything else might break?

Thanks!

Fred

New Friend
    Have you tried messing around with a Yamaha PersonlaStudio ST5? I just got one for Christmas - REAL COOL! I've been experimenting with the various Output devices myself. So far I've connected it to headphones and also pathed through my stereo system. I got a guitar amp (on loan) coming sometime next week that I'm planning on experimenting with.
    Playing For Him,

ConnMan

Kanstul ZKT 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
    Connstellation 38B
    Kanstul CCF 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
    Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.

New Friend

Re: guitar amplifiers for trumpet?

:)

hi!

Thanks for letting me know, I'm getting an Art Tube Pre Amp tomorrow...

Fred

Fortissimo User
    "Celestion"....man, does that name bring back memories... of a great pair of speakers I had when I was in college some 32 years ago....

Celestion Ditton with the "passive radiator"....could those suckers ever pump out bass without making the lights go dim. Still have no idea why I sold that rig.

Mezzo Piano User
    A PA will be superior to most guitar amps. Guitar amps tend to have extremely convoluted frequency response, so you will not be able to get a "clean" trumpet sound. Some of the distorted sounds may actually be attractive, but they'll vary from amp to amp. Also, the distortion will be hard to control when you get to performance levels. You may get a good sound in your living room, but when you try to increase the volume on a gig, it'll sound entirely different.

I review amps for Just Jazz Guitar. If you want a natural sounding amp, then an Acoustic Image Clarus amp driving a Raezer's Edge Extended Range cab will get you there; however, you can buy a PA for less money.

If you persist in trying to use a guitar amp, then I think the Peavey Transtube Bandit is the best amp for a low budget attempt at this kind of thing. It's got a reasonable clean sound, good headroom and its "street price" is around $300.

DaVE
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    Hi Dave (dcstep),

I have a Crate CA60. It has been used in the past for acoustic electric guitar (Ovation Standard Balladeer 1761) and vocals (Audio-Technica PRO 8HEx). Although my wife tells me that I'm more than loud enough on the horn :wink: , could the Crate (hypothetically) ever be used for brass.

Just curious. Thanks.
    PAUL NELSON - Eclipse White Lightning / Getzen Eterna 900 Classic

Mezzo Piano User
    Yeah, the Crate will do the trick for situations where you don't need to be very loud AND it has a Line Out that can put you direct into the board if you're playing with a loud band. The reason it works is because it's an "acoustic guitar" amp so it's got flatter response than the typical electric guitar amp. I haven't heard it specifically, but based on its specs it seems to be a good choice.

Dave
    Schilke '60 B1
    Selmer Paris -- '57 #20 K-Modified/
    '03 Concept TT w/ GR66.8B2.8
    '94 Lawler TL cornet w/ Sparx 2B
    Conn Vintage One flugel - GR66FD
    www.pitpops.com www.ucm-inc.com
    Rocky Mountain Trumpet Fest

Pianissimo User
    Thanks Dave. I appreciate your expertise in this area.

All the best.
    PAUL NELSON - Eclipse White Lightning / Getzen Eterna 900 Classic

Thread Information