View Poll Results: Do you use Hand or Lip Vibrato?

32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you use Hand Vibrato?

12 37.50%
  • Do you use Lip Vibrato?

20 62.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Hand or Lip Vibrato? in the General forums; I use lip. I've tried hand vibrato, but can't quite control it to the point I'd like....
    Forte User
    Northern New York
    I use lip. I've tried hand vibrato, but can't quite control it to the point I'd like.
    "Roses have thorns; shining waters mud. Clouds and eclipses stain the moon and the sun; and history reeks of the wrongs we have done. After today, after today, consider me gone."- Sting

Pianissimo User
    I use hand vibrato but only on certain types of music. it really irks me when players use vibrato on every thing they play. I have a friend who has a beautiful tone but puts vibrato on every thing he plays. every once in awhile he forgets and plays with this wonderful clear tone for about 3 or 4 measures and then just starts shaking his horn. sorry for the rant but I see a lot of older players [my age] who seem to think you have to play with vibrato on every piece. old geezer Dave
    L.A.Benge 2ML 16389
    L.A.Benge 2MLP 11745
    K- Allmen 1414
    Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
    Olds Amb. Cornet 50734

New Friend
    appleton, WI
    I've always been a lip vibrato guy but a few years ago I was subbing on the Broadway production of "Annie Get Your Gun" and there is a "p" 2nd trpt solo that asks for " a little vibrato" in the low register. Any lip vibrato was too much, so I turned to Kamau Adulifu, who was the normal 2nd player but was covering the lead book that day. He said to use hand vibrato for that one and he was right. I think Bud said the same thing once. If it is really soft and low, hand vibrato might be the ticket.

New Friend
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    Lip/jaw is the only method I've tried to be honest.
    Amateur trumpeter
    Cornet, Arran Brass
    Brass band tutor for the Workers' Music Association Summer School

'When I'm down in the dumps, I just go and get myself a new hat.'
    'I wondered where you got them from.'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information