Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss This HAS got to be the BEST trumpet playing I ever heard! in the General forums; Pay special attention to 3:40 solo and 5:45 cadenza What an amazing old video. How great that someone made this ...
    Mezzo Piano User

This HAS got to be the BEST trumpet playing I ever heard!

Pay special attention to 3:40 solo and 5:45 cadenza

What an amazing old video. How great that someone made this available to us.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX24hA2Qhrs]YouTube - Maynard Ferguson Newport Ol Man River[/ame]
    Vintage Trumpets
    T
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

Re: This HAS got to be the BEST trumpet playing I ever heard!

im not sure i could say its the best trumpet playing ive ever heard... considering the quality of the sound being not that great, however if i stick it into the filter of the usual Maynard Ferguson tone, than i would say it was pretty dang good... im a huge Maynard fan, his execution is incredible and its cool to hear him doing something that isnt funk... long live his soul... thanks for posting this and thank whoever posted it on youtube
    super collegiate tri-tone (raw brass)

Mezzo Piano User

Do you have one of Maynard's original Hi-Fi LP Recordings of this on CD? If you do, the sound quality is infinitely better.

I am lucky to have the Maynard Ferguson Mosaic collection (1958-1961), which in my opinion, has some of his very finest work. The quality is very good for those days.
    Vintage Trumpets
    T
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

Piano User

Wow! At the risk of starting something, I have to say that although there are some great players out there,no one will ever be like Maynard. He was definitely something special. I miss him.
    Bob
    Live Long and Prosper

The black is the notes, the white is the page.....play the black!!

'When you're sleeping, someone else is practicing.'"-Herb Alpert

My pile of 5000 plus is pretty particular. I think this belongs in 50000 SECOND best pile.

For those of you taking notes, check out how relaxed he is playing. His tone was floating on his breath support and his body shows little signs of tension. THAT allows for articulation, THAT is how high notes are played.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by Rowuk
    For those of you taking notes, check out how relaxed he is playing. His tone was floating on his breath support and his body shows little signs of tension. THAT allows for articulation, THAT is how high notes are played.
    Maynard explains in another video during a clinic he was doing exactly how he plays his high notes. It's about expelling bad habits with other non-harmful habits. You're incorrect when you say "his body shows little signs of tension". His body IS the tension. Whenever he leans back, he's tensing his legs, and lower back - bending himself backwards. Doing so reminds him not to ram the horn into his face, or tense up his chest and shoulders which obviously kills in the high register.

I've adopted Maynard's style of playing, and it works VERY well. Naturally, it takes a lot of practice to learn to make this a habit, and naturally, you still need fast air to make those high notes pop out, but it's a very good habit - if you do it correctly, mind you - to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    you still need fast air to make those high notes pop out,
    Fast Air

Nick I - freelance wellness consultant
    My online store
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Maynard explains in another video during a clinic he was doing exactly how he plays his high notes. It's about expelling bad habits with other non-harmful habits. You're incorrect when you say "his body shows little signs of tension". His body IS the tension. Whenever he leans back, he's tensing his legs, and lower back - bending himself backwards. Doing so reminds him not to ram the horn into his face, or tense up his chest and shoulders which obviously kills in the high register.

I've adopted Maynard's style of playing, and it works VERY well. Naturally, it takes a lot of practice to learn to make this a habit, and naturally, you still need fast air to make those high notes pop out, but it's a very good habit - if you do it correctly, mind you - to learn.
    Let me disagree here,
    you can only lean back if you are in equilibrium, otherwise you fall down. I spent some time with Maynard in the 70s (not video). Believe me, his tension is minimal - FAR less than with most players standing up straight. Yoga and balance were his thing! That is why he was still able to play in the stratosphere at such a high age (and weight). He needed no physical reminders for his face or chest or abs.

Second: there is no such thing as fast air with the trumpet. Some may use this analogy to describe blowing forcefully, but even elementary knowledge of how a trumpet works (a horn and standing waves) makes it very clear that we have high compression at the mouthpiece not velocity and the horn transformation at the bell low compression, high velocity. The air molecules that we blow into the horn are NOT the ones bouncing off of the back wall. Soundwaves work like dominos, one bumps into the next one and so forth.

If you want to measure velocity, it is easy. Your lungs when you fill up have about 6-7 liters of air in them. It is not possible to push the diaphragm up high enough to completely empty them, so to keep it simple, lets say that you have 6 liters available.

Now play a low C as loud as you can and count the seconds until you are empty. Do the same for 3rd space C, high C and double C. Amazingly enough, above the staff, you can hold the notes out MUCH LONGER. This is true because the air actually moves SLOWER!

To be fair, two things are happening here. The impedance in the trumpet goes up for higher notes and that makes it more efficient, second, because our lips open and close like a valve, lower frequencies have more "leakage", that means moving air not turned into sound escapes through the horn. That still adds up to SLOWER for high notes even if we add our aperature size into the calculation.

The mistake with all of you thinking about fast, is that the trumpet is not a glorified megaphone where the air moving faster would have an opportunity to escape. It is a resonant system by design. Buzzing into the horn gets a standing wave started. The design of the horn "leaks" some of that standing wave into the room. That is what we hear. The buzz just keeps the standing wave maintained. Slots are proof of the resonant nature of the horn. Faster air would accomplish nothing. The impedance of the horn would merely fight back and block it.

High notes work by not having more chop tension than necessary which would only "squeeze off" the upper octaves. I am doing some chop research and I have a theory that great players use less of the lip mass at higher frequencies due to the geometry of their embouchures. Less mature embouchures if my theory is correct, force more mass to vibrate and that is why range stops at the brick wall. Those that primarily (intelligently) use chop compression and MUCH less mouthpiece pressure can have a geometry better suited to high notes. Air compression is only necessary to balance the impedance of the horn, more would only keep the aperature open and inefficient.

Pianissimo User

I like your long posts, Rowuk. They're more intelligent than your "practice, practice, practice" ones, haha. :)

Your theory sounds.. incredibly accurate when explained that way.

I like your long posts, Rowuk. They're more intelligent than your "practice, practice, practice" ones, haha. :)

Your theory sounds.. incredibly accurate when explained that way.
    Actually, the practice, practice, practice ones work faster. Most of the time, that is the only problem. They also have less chance off being misunderstood by those with <50% knowledge of physics and math AND no teacher. I have been misquoted here more times than I care to think about - in spite of being generally available for questions.......................

It is amazing what happens when we start practicing in a common sense, low impact, orderly fashion. Many times most of the questions disappear VERY quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information