Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Masterwannabe
  • 1 Post By mgcoleman
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Have any of you done anything like this? in the General forums; My wife and I have taken to 'snow birding' from Colorado to Arizona (3rd year in Quartzsite) now. The winter ...
    Mezzo Piano User

Have any of you done anything like this?

My wife and I have taken to 'snow birding' from Colorado to Arizona (3rd year in Quartzsite) now. The winter population of this little crossroads town in the middle of the desert is astounding, RVers form all over the US and Canada. Anyway all of the bigger RV parks have big recreation halls and most of them sponsor what they call 'jam sessions', they are all themed differently, i.e. Country, Gospel, Big Band and Variety. These events are somewhat mis-nomered in my book but they are great fun. What they are comprised of is basically Karaoke to live musicians but the whole concept is rather unique I think.

What happens is that some singer gets up on stage and says they want to perform some song in whatever key. Now the musicians are expected to play background for the singer (and not everybody play the melody) providing appropriate rhythm, harmony & fill and nobody has a sheet of music and sometimes the singer will give a break to a musician expecting a solo.

All of these folks are seasoned citizens and 90 % of them older than me. The quality of musicians range from what would appear to be beginner to professional. There is one keyboard player here that can play anything in any key and he doesn't have to adjust the keyboard electronically. Most of the musicians are guitar/string players with the next group being keyboard followed by the occasional sax, clarinet, accordion and then me the lone trumpet player.

I have been using these as a method to enhance my playing by ear and limited improv skills (or lack thereof).

I was just wondering if any of you have ever attempted/experienced this form of performance and if you had any tips for success (besides practice, practice, practice)?
    barliman2001 likes this.
    Ray Z
    If you don't know where you are going it doesn't matter how you get there.

Re: Have any of you done anything like this?

Maybe one thing to have in the bag is knowing the major and minor pentatonic scales cold - hard to get into too much trouble with them.
    Honkie likes this.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

Mezzo Piano User

You need to think about degrees, not about notes. Most of bass, keyboard and guitar players think only about degrees you have to think like them, for example you don't play C- F7 BbMajor7 but a II V I in the key of Bb, learn the degrees you play (we call them patterns), be aware about it and you will play whatever you like.
    But it can be a problem when you have to play a theme, if it's a simple theme it's OK but if it's a bebop theme that's another story.

Learn to play the keyboard or the guitar and think about degrees.

This is pretty typical jam session fare, or a jazz gig with a vocalist.

Also, trust your eyes and muscle memory. They know more than your brain does. The key to playing by ear is no relax and not think about it enough to tense up.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Northern California

Ah yes, Quartzite America--I know it well. Anyway, 90% of your songs are going to be in easy guitar keys--C,D,G and A. Unfortunately for you that means D, E, A and B. All you need to do is know the I, IV, V (V7) and vi (minor) arpeggio for each key. When you're practicing scales just tag the arpeggios on the end of your scales. That should get you through more than 90% of all the stuff you're going to run into at the "jam sessions".
    Recording Olds Trumpet (64)
    Bb MLV Strad (69) ML 37 Strad (71) C ML Strad 236 (65)
    Couesnon Flugelhorn
    Bach Strad Bass Trumpet
    Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
    Kanstul 920 Piccolo Trumpet
    Yamaha 6610S Eb/D Trumpet

Thread Information