Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Haven't Played In Years...Where To Start? in the General forums; You can develope your chops playing melodies like Ivan suggested but slur them in one continuous breath. That will help ...

Re: Haven't Played In Years...Where To Start?

You can develope your chops playing melodies like Ivan suggested but slur them in one continuous breath. That will help develop your breath control while strengthening your chops. Take some moderate breaks and come back to it. Give yourself sometime and listen to some recording of your favorite players. Try to mimic their sound when you practice. That will also help train your ear to the sound you wish to accomplish. Good luck and welcome back.
    Art C
    ------------
    1964 H. N. White King Super 20 model 1049S
    1970 King Super 20 S2
    1976 King Silver Flair (Custom engraved)

If it starts to hurt, back off and rest a little.
    1952 Holton Revelation 48 w/ Stork Studio Master VM, Wick 4
    1975 Bach Stradivarius 182 "flugelhorn", Bach 7fl
    1930 Holton Llewellyn, Heim 1
    1990 Bach Stradivarius 180 with 37 bell, 7 leadpipe, Wick 4
    Early 1900s Jaubert Eb peckhorn, cheap Lyle mp
    Early '60s Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Copra Temp
    Olds Ambassador cornet in pieces.
    Kudu Shofar.

Forte User

Welcome aboard! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by KBoy420 View Post
    Hi All,

First time poster but looking for some help. Back in the day, I was actually a very good trumpet player. Numerous awards all through high school, district/regional/state concert and jazz band. I actually had a full scholarship to UArts in Philly for jazz performance, but decided to get out of music. Fast-forward about 10 years and I miss playing.

As I'm sure you all know, the knowledge is all still there, but the chops are shot. I can play for about 10 minutes before my lips give out and my range is shot. I can still barely squeak out high C, but back in high school, I had a solid F/G above that.

So I'd like to know what you all think would be the best way to start getting my chops back. I've been doing long tones and excercises out of Arbans. It's so frustrating becasue I want to be playing at the level I was, but my lips wont let me. And long tones are borrrring. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

PS - oh and for my gear, in case some are curious. I play a Bach Strad 172 w/ 3C but also have an old Callet horn and mouthpiece.
    Welcome back! I know they are boring, but long tones are soooo good for you. Kinda like watching paint dry or grass grow but the benefits are awesome! P.S. I DID NOT READ ANY OF THE POSTS BEFORE POSTING. Conclusion, do the long tones from low F#up to high C. It's only 31 little notes!
    Last edited by tobylou8; 06-04-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Remember in marching band.., having the songs memorized??? (It's easy, because there are only three valves!!) To increase duration.., I memorized, five or six favorite songs.., and play them over., and over.., and over, and PLAYING LONG TONES IN_BETWEEN.., to relax the lips, when they get tired, well., then you rest. Never feel like you are having to force notes. Play every day.., and try to play longer every day, and as far as range.., that will come with time, just try to get a little higher every day.., and then when you get that note.., STOP trying, as you should never try to force too hard.
    Welcome back!!! Make some recordings, as this is a good way to gauge your progress. When you fell like you have plateaued, then play back some of your recordings, and you will feel better..., and regain your confidence.

biggest pitfalls I found were
    -Breathing ... it use to be very natural so I never thought much about it when I was younger ... had to consciously make sure I was supporting the notes.
    -Things that I use to do didn't quite have the same benefit ... I had played the Clarkes so much they were virtually memorised ... I picked up the Vizzutti Book one and while his technical studies are similar they are just different enough to make me focus ... I found my dexterity improved at a faster rate changing it up. I am pretty sure if I had learned the Vizzutti's when I was younger then I would have the same result if I switched to the Clarkes
    - warm-ups ... use to take 10 minutes now I spend 40 minutes ... somewhere in there it probably isn't an actual warm-up but playing more warm up exercises lie Long Tones and slow arpeggios. I really like the Vizzutti series.
    -play along cds ... I find them fun and it motivates me because I hate sucking on the trumpet
    welcome
    !
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

Here are a couple of things I use. The warm up is what I use and when I don't have a lot of time, I do the 30 minute program.

Trumpet Warm Ups Sheet Music by Walter Moeck | Sheet Music Plus

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/30.html

"POPS" website is addicting, so be warned!
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

I'll concur with long tones, but also recommend lip slurs (Arbans). Nothing high, nothing fast, nothing loud - just focus on a slow tempo, clean slurs, good tone and center on each note. You will certainly feel your chops getting the workout and please remember to rest in between all your exercises.
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37 bell, 1986 Bach Strad 43 bell
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

New Friend

Once you get to a point whee you feel mildly comfortable reading and playing tunes, try to find a local community band to join. that's what i did. the help and support from the old guys around me was invaluable. it's been 12 years now (after a 30-year break), and i'm still going strong. will never quit again

I agree with everything said so far. Scales, arpeggios, bugle calls, lip slurs, all are good. Try to find people to play with who are better than you. And if you play with acoustic guitars, you'll have to get used to playing in F# and B scales. Playing a little every day is better than playing a lot one day a week. After warming up, playing along with the radio (or last.fm) can be a lot of fun and before you know it you'll be playing by ear. That opens up a whole new world of music, since there are a lot of bands out there that don't even know how to read music. And have fun, above all.
    1952 Holton Revelation 48 w/ Stork Studio Master VM, Wick 4
    1975 Bach Stradivarius 182 "flugelhorn", Bach 7fl
    1930 Holton Llewellyn, Heim 1
    1990 Bach Stradivarius 180 with 37 bell, 7 leadpipe, Wick 4
    Early 1900s Jaubert Eb peckhorn, cheap Lyle mp
    Early '60s Getzen Super Deluxe Tone Balanced Copra Temp
    Olds Ambassador cornet in pieces.
    Kudu Shofar.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information