Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Having endurance issues. in the General forums; A Breathing exercise I learned from my own trumpet teacher (Claude Gordon Disciple). While you are walking. Breathe through nose ...

Re: Having endurance issues.

A Breathing exercise I learned from my own trumpet teacher (Claude Gordon Disciple).

While you are walking. Breathe through nose one time for each step. Start with two steps. Breath in with each step through nasal passage, Then Hold breath for two steps. Then exhale through mouth for two steps. Practice controlling your breaths so it feels comfortable and natural. When you've mastered it with 2-steps, go on to 3-steps, then 4-steps, 5-steps..10-steps...

After a few weeks, you really will notice a different in your breathing and control.
    Last edited by rbdeli; 05-13-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Vintage Trumpets
    he Easier, More efficient way to Find Used Trumpets.

Rochester, NY

Thank you for all the replies. I'll try to address some of the things said. First of all, i play A Parduba (double cup cant remember the size). Its a fairly shallow piece and i like it, but it is far from perfect. I dont really have time for a full on mouthpiece safari so i have been kind of bouncing around. I own A Jet Tone studio B, Several Warburton cups and back bores(my favorite of them is the 4S with the Q backbore). If i could get a mouthpiece with a wide rim and sharp bite with the cup of a 4S i would love it. I don't want to make equipment a huge focus on improving. I think progress should continue and only get better as i find the ideal mouthpiece for me.

As for the amount of energy i use, I like to play with very little lip pressure. I tend to use my lips(as rowuk said) more than anything to get a strong upper register. I went to this approach to build lip strength, and although it would appear i now have that strength, i don't really "know how to use it".
    I live in Northern New Jersey, about 30 minutes from New York City.
    An old bull and a young bull are standing on a hill top surveying the heifers in the pasture below. The young bull says, "Let's run down there and have us a heifer." The old bull snorts and replies, "Let's WALK down and have them ALL."

currently on a horn safari...I'll be moving a lot of horns around in the near future (keep your eyes on the classifieds).

Pianissimo User

If you're around NYC I'm sure there are quite a few pro's you could grab a lesson with, see how they do things, and learn quite a bit. I'd look into that.

This reminds me of the second time I saw Allen Vizzutti. From the first note to the last note of the encore (Full, long show, no intermission) he sounded fantastic. It looked effortless, and he was obviously playing some difficult high register playing (Jazz Concert) I caught him backstage, and as I shook his hand asked how we was doing. "I'm great but my chops are shot!!" Yes folks, even Allen Vizzutti gets tired. But you couldn't tell even when listening closely. Why? Because he is one of the most efficient players out there, his face looks almost identical playing a low C and a double C.

If you don't want to go on the mpc safari, good choice. If gone through my fair share and have settled on what works best for me. If you are curious and don't have the funds, I highly recommend Marcinkiewicz. Look at their site for details, but you can find a piece slightly smaller, etc, that could work great for a pretty cheap price. I get my Marc. from Dave over at Big Brass - Mouthpieces, CDs, DVDs, Accessories

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information