Trumpet Discussion Discuss hearing aids and trumpet in the General forums; HI I have to wear two hearing aids cause my titnitus was out of control and effected my hearing I ...

hearing aids and trumpet

HI I have to wear two hearing aids cause my titnitus was out of control and effected my hearing I just got my new hearing aids today and now I am hearing things much louder...... BUT the trumpet just does not sound right I recall a thread awhile back one of our members told me he had his hearing aid adjusted for the trumpet range. If he is out there or someone else might know what frequency or range I can suggest to my audiologist for the trumpet it would be very helpful ,Thank you Anthony

Pianissimo User

Re: hearing aids and trumpet

There was a time when I needed very good earplugs and I was looking into a hearing aid for one ear (loss due to an infection).

I traded emails with someone at etymotic. They make high end headphones, including some of the first in-the-ear high quality earbuds.

The guy I communicated with suggested strongly that the earplug, or the hearing aid, be made so that it protrudes into the ear as close as possible to the eardrum.

The problem with putting something in your ear like a standard earplug is that you end up hearing yourself. You can often see singers in rehearsals putting a finger to one ear to help themselves isolate their own sound/pitch from the group. The same thing happens for trumpet. If the fixture (aid or earplug) goes down to the eardrum, you minimize this.

This may not be your concern, but I thought I would bring it up here.

Forte User

I have a friend that plays the stand up bass and wears hearing aids. when he performs he uses his old regular hearing aids but for all other times he uses his newer digital hearing aids. He said the older model works better for hearing the pitches better. He also tunes pianos and uses the older models for that also [besides his strobe and tuner].
    formerly known as old geezer Dave
    Chicago Benge 33XX
    Blessing 1580 [ Powell modified ]
    Getzen 800s ml Cornet P02819
    Yam. 231 Fl. 15383
    King Master Cornet 295628
    assorted other horns

New Friend
    North-Central Illinois

Playing brass instruments while wearing hearing aids can be challenging. However, given a choice between not playing and playing with hearing augmentation, I choose the latter.
    I use a pair of four channel digital hearing aids that provide enough flexibility for the, sometimes, complex, acoustical environments, experienced in orchestral and wind ensemble rehearsals and performances, especially where brass instruments are used.
    Digital hearing aids permit programming of several individual channels to match the general or specific environment situations and then to choose the channel which best suits the need(s) one may encounter.
    Channel One General conversation and every day listening. Used for communication with conductor and other section members where clarity of speech and amplification of sound are important. This setting should not be used for music performance due to excessive sound amplification and hearing device feedback problems.
    Channel Two (For Noisy Environments) this channel used for brass rehearsals and performances with occasional change to channel one for verbal instruction, etc... This setting cuts out the rear microphones on each ear piece thus decreasing the excessive overtones and echo of the surrounding instruments. I switch to this channel as we began to perform.
    Channel Three Used for particularly noise environments were dynamic levels are high ff or fff, when lower brasses or percussion are positioned behind the trumpets, and/or when playing in particularly bright acoustical environments, (e.g., a performance hall with a great deal of glass and marble surfaces, etc,).
    Channel Four This channel is open for future programming needs.
    An Audiologist who knows or understands your performance needs and is willing to work with you is worth his or her weight in gold. Several audiometric sessions (with testing equipment in sound booth) were required to find the current settings. My Audiologist even suggested bringing in my trumpet so she could hear and evaluate what I was experiencing and thus be more informed and thus more accurate in her recommendations. Among her recommendations which have been very helpful were the follow:
    1.Use a hearing aid with an ear-bud which has an open air channel that vents to the outside. This equalizes the pressure in the ear canal between the ear-bud and ear drum and admits some natural sound from the outside thus permitting the air column to move faster and thus more accurately reproduce the sound in the outside environment. The experience is a more natural sound rather than one which is stuffy or blunted.
    2.The digital aids I use fit over and behind the ear. I am not concerned about the appearance of the hearing aids. I realize this may be of concern for some. There are digital hearing aids that fit completely inside the ear column. However, they are quite expensive and may not reproduce music to your satisfaction. I also sing and was concerned that the hearing aids be equally adaptable for brass performance and choral work.
    I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. I cannot stress enough the importance of working with a good Audiologist. Be patient, it is worth the time, expense, and the trial and error, often needed to come up with something that will work for you.

Best of luck,
    Jack C.

Bb trumpet: Olds Special, (1959)
    Schilke first valve-slide trigger, and silver plated.
    C trumpet: Schilke, C-1
    Schilke first valve-slide trigger, C to Bb conversion slides.
    Piccolo trumpet: Schilke, P5-4, A/Bb

Bb and C trumpets - Schilke 20, Bach 1D, Bach 1 1/4B, and Schilke 15B.
    Piccolo Trumpet-Schilke 15B3X, Bach 7DW.

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley

New Friend

The best way to handle all this problem is to buy a digital hearing aid.You can visit a lot of websites to check the advantages then you can make a decision.

Thread Information