Trumpet Discussion Discuss Hearing Damage and Musicians in the General forums; This is specifically orchestra pit referenced but I thought I'd toss it in here where everyone will notice it. A ...
    Fortissimo User

Hearing Damage and Musicians

This is specifically orchestra pit referenced but I thought I'd toss it in here where everyone will notice it. A study has concluded that sound levels in the orchestra pit of the Canadian Opera Orchestra are NOT especially dangerous to the hearing of the musicians. For the full story check out

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...ing050316.html

BEFORE it gets over-written!

That's pretty cool. I had heard rumors for year that the db level in the middle of an orchestra was damaging. So much for rumors! I will say that I'd bet good money that the db level in the band room where I teach is damaging to hearing.

Mike
    "Music is a fire in your belly that has to come out of your mouth, so you'd better put a horn in the way before someone gets hurt"
    1949/50 Super Recording
    1949 Martin Committee
    1947 Olds Super
    Olds Super/Ultrasonic trumpet
    Olds Recording trumpet
    Olds Mendez
    Olds L-12
    Conn 40B
    Eclipse MR scratch gold
    Bach 37
    Scherzer Picc
    Buescher Mdl 15 Cornet in Bb/C/A (Dad's old horn)
    Boston 3 Star Ne Plus Ultra
    Natural trumpet hand made by my friend Howard Scudder

Fortissimo User
    Well, Mike... you do have to remember that it's an Operatic Orchestra. Now... I don't much like going to opera (or ballet) so I have no idea how loud they play.. but I'd guess that the music is secondary to the vocals? In which case it's not necessarily as loud as, say, a full symphony orchestra?

Anybody know?

It would be a neat idea if they carried their experiment through to some symphonics though... maybe one of their unions could request the same study?

Utimate User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tootsall
    ...in which case it's not necessarily as loud as, say, a full symphony orchestra?
    Toots,

While the primary role of any pit orchestra is to accompany we have to consider that the pit retains a lot more sound that an open concert stage. Also, there are many, many moments in opera and ballet literature especially that are very loud. I think that may actually be why they may have used the pit for this study. Apples and oranges, perhaps, but ultimately we're still talkin' fruit here.

ML

Fortissimo User
    Yep...and with me starting to show signs of tinnitis as I age, the fruit is starting to get overripe!

I have tinnitis as well. Too many rock and roll gigs. I am actually starting to use an earplug in my right ear whenever I play. It takes some getting used to. I don't like it, but I would like to be able to hear when I am forty!

patrick

Thread Information