Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help! in the General forums; Ok, So I am a senior in high school. And I am planning on attending Florida State University for Music ...
    New Friend

Ok, So I am a senior in high school. And I am planning on attending Florida State University for Music Education in the fall of next year. I am also planning on joining the marching chiefs. So here's where I need help. I play a Benge trumpet from the 70s. It's decent. Kinda bright tone though. But I am looking for a new trumpet to play. I want to use my Benge for will be perfect. But for my new horn, I have NO idea what to get... Everywhere i look it's a Bach Strad.

So here's what I want:
    Plays easily in upper register.
    Great brilliant, concert sound [not too bright or jazzy]
    Professional horn [duh]
    but not EXTREMELY expensive. And possibly a gold finish or brushed gold finish [preferably no laquor or silver if possible]

Any ideas where to look for a horn like this?? I want it to last me a while... Thanks!!

The best way to pick a horn isn't the internet unfortunately. It is going to as many music stores that you can find and trying everything.

Mezzo Forte User
    If it were me, I wouldn't rush into anything. Go to school with the horn you've got, then take advantage of your new teacher to get some advice. Plus, other students will have lots of horns you can try so you can get a feel for what might be best. I remember that in my first year or so in college, my playing change a great deal (for the better) and the kind of horns I prefered before weren't right anymore. Just my two cents...good luck!

I couldn't agree with Pedal C more. Your Benge is good - even if it is "bright". Bright to the player could be "brilliant" to the audience and your teacher. Your best next horn may even be a C trumpet (with a symphonic tone). I would wait.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Denton, TX.
    I would also wait. As long as the horn you has works id stick with it for now. As you learn more about other horns, the better it is as you will be able to make a wiser decision when buying a horn. As a student, i see alot of people here who just change majors out of nowhere and sell their horns, you might also wait and see if anyone is selling their hor. Theyre ususally in good condition and youd probably get a great price.
    Yamaha YTR - 8335 Xeno Custom Series
    Bach - 1 1/2 C 24ktGP mouthpiece
    University of North Texas - 2nd year

Thread Information