Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help! in the General forums; Friday I had a couple of different horns out for practice. Two of my b-flats, my flugel, and my C. ...
    Pianissimo User
    Fayetteville, NC

Friday I had a couple of different horns out for practice. Two of my b-flats, my flugel, and my C. To make a long story short, the stand with my C trumpet tipped over and the horn hit the second valve slide. Yesterday when I went to play I found the valve casing must have been bent by the impact. I can get the valve out, but just barely.

How big a problem is this to repair, or did I just turn this horn into a doorstop?

Re: Help!

A good tech should be able to fix that issue. You are definitely not the first player to have that says I (with some degree of sheepishness).
    Bb cornet: 2012 Getzen 3850 Custom (copper bell)
    Bb trumpets: 1980 Bach Strad 37
    Euphonium: Jupiter Capital Edition 460
    Eastern Iowa Brass Band
    "Practice, not procurement, is the secret." -- me

Pianissimo User
    Battle Creek, MI

Bad weekend for horns! You should be able to have that fixed no problem. I just dinged my pristine flugelhorn in a similar incident. A case fell shut and the latch hit the bell, leaving a large dent. My friend remarked that the first one is always the worst. Luckily, it's the least valuable in the stable, so I wasn't that upset. Get your horn to the shop and explain what happened with some dignity and they'll set it right for you, despite the snickering you might endure.
    1932 Conn 2B Special trumpet
    1956 Martin Committee Deluxe cornet
    1964 (ish) Holton Al Hirt Special cornet
    1972 Bach Stradivarus model 37
    Maxtone Flugelhorn

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

Good repairs and expected damage are what keeps techs in business.

Thread Information