Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help with cornetto in the General forums; Does anyone have any experience playing cornetto? I can't seem to get a good sound out of it no matter ...
    New Friend

Help with cornetto

Does anyone have any experience playing cornetto? I can't seem to get a good sound out of it no matter what I try.
    Stomvi Elite 330L Bb
    Stomvi Mahler C
    Lawler TLFL Flugel

Pianissimo User

Re: Help with cornetto

I happen to know a little about this so I'll try to help. Will be able to respond more fully when I get back next week. What's your set up? Try for an open focused well rounded tone. Try to eliminate as much fuzz in the tone as possible (use a good clean sounding embouchure - way back when I actually put an acorn mouthpiece where my trumpet rim used to sit and the results were immediate and amazing, and have been using it ever since (more on that later if you're interested). DON'T try to lip anything! If you have a decent instrument it should work for you. For the time being worry about intonation later. Rudimentary Arbans book exercises work really well. When successful (or approaching it) your tone should be open, almost hollow sounding with a solid somewhat bright core as it resonates through the instrument. Don't play too loud. IT ISN'T A TRUMPET AND SHOULDN'T SOUND LIKE ONE.

Above all else, listen to good players, preferably people who actually play the instrument: Bruce Dickey, Doron Sherwin, Jean Tubery etc. Not trumpet players who mostly double on the instrument.

Good luck! getting past the quacking stage is perhaps the hardest thing to do, but it is so rewarding once you do.

Dr Z

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zink View Post
    I happen to know a little about this so I'll try to help. Will be able to respond more fully when I get back next week. What's your set up? Try for an open focused well rounded tone. Try to eliminate as much fuzz in the tone as possible (use a good clean sounding embouchure - way back when I actually put an acorn mouthpiece where my trumpet rim used to sit and the results were immediate and amazing, and have been using it ever since (more on that later if you're interested). DON'T try to lip anything! If you have a decent instrument it should work for you. For the time being worry about intonation later. Rudimentary Arbans book exercises work really well. When successful (or approaching it) your tone should be open, almost hollow sounding with a solid somewhat bright core as it resonates through the instrument. Don't play too loud. IT ISN'T A TRUMPET AND SHOULDN'T SOUND LIKE ONE.

Above all else, listen to good players, preferably people who actually play the instrument: Bruce Dickey, Doron Sherwin, Jean Tubery etc. Not trumpet players who mostly double on the instrument.

Good luck! getting past the quacking stage is perhaps the hardest thing to do, but it is so rewarding once you do.

Dr Z
    Thanks for the help. As far as set up goes I have one of the Monk resin cornettos. My trumpet instructor used to be a dealer for Monk back in the day so he happened to have a horn I could borrow when told him I was interested. He gave me two mouthpieces to try. One is a trumpet type and the other is a standard acorn. I'm not really sure which one I should focus on.
    Stomvi Elite 330L Bb
    Stomvi Mahler C
    Lawler TLFL Flugel

I had a cornetto and a baroque trumpet that I played with for a few weeks. I never could get the cornetto to do a whole lot for me...

I'd stick with the acorn style, though.

Van

Pianissimo User

Monk Resin cornetts are potentially very good instruments and many noted players have played them professionally. I dare say you probably won't find a dog of an instrument but some tend to be better than others. I agree, stick with the acorn type mourthpiece. It will allow for better better flexability With careful practice, after a while it won't bother your trumpet embouchure too much to go back and forth. In the mean time I hope your m,aking some improvement in getting past the initial quacking stage and are getting more comfortable holding the instrument. That finger stretch can be a bit much at first.

all the best.

Dr Z

Pianissimo User

Well, what news? Having any success?

Dr Z

hi Mr. Zink,

I modified an old Bach 3C mouthpiece, so it fits in my Monk Resin cornett, but
    the sound is far away from what I hear from the great players.....

What acorn-type of mouthpiece would you recommend ?

the very small mouthpiece I got with the horn is too small for me

is it not possible to get a decent sound with a 3C size ??
    (my lips are also not very thin)

There are many things sub optimal in cut down trumpet mouthpieces on the cornetto. Picking a mouthpiece is as intimate as finding one for the trumpet. Some places to get help on mouthpieces:
    Christopher Monk Instruments accessories for Cornett
    Brass Mouthpieces
    Bruno Tilz Mouthpieces
    »McCann Cornetts: Purchase Information«
    http://www.earlymusicshop.com/Browse...m1_format51/1/

You can contact Ed Carroll here at TM for more info on getting in touch with Matt Jennejohn at McGill. He makes this stuff too:
    Daniel Taylor & The Theatre of Early Music (TEM) - Musicians
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Sol
    Pianissimo User

I found that the hardest thing about starting on the cornetto was holding it. I just couldn't manage to get my fingers around the instrument. I love the sound of the cornetto, but whenever I try to hold one, I just put it down in dismay.

wow !!!
    Mister Rowuk !!
    your advises are really cool and helpful !!!
    (¡ 1001 gracias nocturnas !)

I´ll check out right now this links....

who knows how extensive this "TRUMPET-WORLD" is:
    - just holding a Zink, is infernal ---

(on the contrary)

- playing a Didjeridú can be very relaxing ---

(all form part of the trumpet family,
    but every horn has his own world)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information