Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help! Do my valves need rebuilding?? in the General forums; Hey all - I wonder if anyone can help me out with this..... I have a King 2007 (pre-UMI pro ...
    New Friend

Help! Do my valves need rebuilding??

Hey all -

I wonder if anyone can help me out with this..... I have a King 2007 (pre-UMI pro model) which I love, but the valves show some disturbing behavior.

They work very well, but there is significant side-to-side movement in valves 2 and 3.

Compression is good and the valves show no significant wear on the pistons. However, there is about 2mm or more 'wobble' side to side.

Do they need rebuilding? I hope not: I've seen prices of about $400 for this, simply out of my budget.....

Any advice appreciated!

1982 King 2007
    1974-ish Olds Ambassador
    1962-ish Cleveland Superior C project
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent D and Eb (home brew)

Piano User
    Godley, Texas

Re: Help! Do my valves need rebuilding??

I wouldn't think the valves would need rebuilding after only 2 or 3 years unless it was an off beat brand. You said it has good compression. I wouldn't think you would have valves that loose and good compression. Maybe just the stems are moving. See if they are loose. Does it have a warranty? If it plays good in the low register, and the valves don't stick, I wouldn't worry to much. Good Luck, Bobby

Maybe the valve guides, which probably are plastic are worn through. That is the most common problem I see when valves wobble if there are no other signs of wear or tear.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

I think that we need to keep this "valve wear" thing in perspective. I have a 1911 Holton cornet with essentially NO compression. It plays wonderfully, is in tune and has those slot thingies that many players quote but do not understand. There is a double C on that horn too.

So what I am trying to say is that "tight" valves are good, but the trumpet does not fall apart or kill the player when they are not.

If the action and compression are good, no worries!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information