Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help Manny 10c to a 1c, and back again! in the General forums; Rick, During your practice time keep the mouthpiece on the chops as much as possible, even during breaths and page ...

During your practice time keep the mouthpiece on the chops as much as possible, even during breaths and page turns. This might make up for a regular gig where there are times the mouthpiece is off your face.

You will want to build this up over time. Start with something like 5 minutes at a time and go from there.

Rick, for me, once I stopped hop-scotching between the two, it actually seemed to clear some problems up and I had even better endurance on the weekend gigs. But, my experience may not match yours. It's one of those things that you'll probably just have to try for a bit before you can find a balance for everything - no easy task. I've been playing for nearly 25 years and I still can't seem to find that balance!
    Patrick Gleason

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
    "At my signal, unleash hell."
    - Maximus Decimus Meridius

New Friend

It appears that you've made the right decision. I just want to comment on a few things you said before and eliminate your fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Chartrand
    Theres two reasons I want the 1c.

1: I cant play 5 hours a night during the week and need the 1c to maintain my lip with a 2 1/2 hour workout during the week.

2: I love the dark sound of the 1c,...but acording to a lot of people I can get this with the Heim if I work that piece only.
    1.) The sheer quantity of practice time has little to do with endurance. Just because you don't play to the extent of your limits doesn't mean your endurance will deterioriate. If you're practicing 2 1/2 hours per day, you will still have the endurance for 5 hours. As long as you practice every day and stay in playing shape reasonably, your chops are balanced enough to make this possible.

The real pros out there have the utmost of balanced chops and literally never tire. That doesn't mean they practice 24 hours / day to keep their endurance up. :)

2.) Those people are right. You can get a huge sound on the Heim if you work on resonance and projection.

I hope we've all been of help to you, Rick. You seem happy with your playing, so I would encourage you to play happily! It's not often that a player like you is able to forget about chops and concentrate fully on music.
    Please /join #horns @ Undernet IRC for the best trumpet (and anything else) discussion!

Piano User
    Toronto Canada

Keeping my chops on the mouthpiece at all times during a 2 1/2 hour practise session isnt something that I considered. That sounds as though I would work Thanks for the tip!

Hey Patrick

Thanks for responding to my post to fast. I just finished my first Heim-only (smiles) practise session and feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The biggest issue this is gonna clear up for me is my lips swelling when playing the Bach 1c which was a nightmare. And youre right Patrick, finding a balance is no easy task but I love a challange Wow 25 years youve been playing, I consider myself well accomplished after 15+ years but feel like a baby next to You and Manny. One step at a time though.

Hey Syntax

Ya the decision feels right, kind of like commiting yourself to a great marriage... (for lack of a better example). Thats a very important point that you make on endurance not deteriorating if you dont press your self 7 days a week to meet or exceed it. And the real pros never tiring, that would be sheer heaven!

Yes I was feeling that I can get a huge sound out of the Heim by working the mouthpiece exclusivly, and now that I dont have to bother doing multiple mouthpieces anymore, a huge sound is what I want to develop. My tone on this mouthpiece already sings and is very round and clear, not to mention great high notes, but making the sound HUGE is something I am going to have to work on. Miles played the same mouthpiece and we all know how huge his sound was in the last few years of his life.

You guys have been SUPER and I wanna thank you all for helpng me make this decision. Time to concentrate on my music 100% and forget about chop problems

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information