Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help Me And My Trumpet!! in the General forums; i've just started playing trumpet but my trumpet is missing two things that all other peoples trumpets seem to have, ...
    New Friend

Help Me And My Trumpet!!

i've just started playing trumpet but my trumpet is missing two things that all other peoples trumpets seem to have, a third valve slide ring and a hold for my right hand thumb. does this put me at a disadvantage. PLEASE HELP! oh and also how do i tune my trumpet? sorry for the ignorance.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey
    You don't really need the right hand hold unless you nood to put/remove or change mutes whille you are playing or may be for laying with a plunger mute. I does usually more harm than good to begginners - it may make you use more pressure when playing in the high register, so if I was you would consider it rather as an advantage. Of course, some people use it to produce a vibrato (known as right hand vibrato)

I don't use the third slide ring very often but every decent brass repairs shop should be able to add one on your trumpet if you really need it.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

you will see this response on just aboout every post of this nature:
    get a good teacher!
    Learning to tune your trumpet involves 2 things - you need to be able to play the notes with an even pitch (this means a steady tone), then you compare that steady tone to either an electronic tuning device or somebody else that you want to play with. If your tone is higher, you pull the tuning slide out, it you are lower-you push it in. A teacher can get you doing this reliably after the first couple of lessons. That steady tone is the first step to success!
    I wouldn't worry about the ring yet. If you practice diligently, you will eventually need it. In the beginning, it doesn't matter.
    Good luck!
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Thread Information