Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mchs3d
  • 1 Post By barliman2001
  • 5 Post By hhsTrumpet
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help me out in the General forums; This will take some explaining, so bear with me. I have a mildly serious underbite, which causes me to play ...
    New Friend

Help me out

This will take some explaining, so bear with me.

I have a mildly serious underbite, which causes me to play trumpet with an upstream. However, my glasses slide down my nose and my upstream makes it so I can't see above my bell. This means I have to look down at my music, but to do this, I have to tilt my head down slightly. The result is a guy with his head pointed down and the trumpet straight out towards whatever's in front of me. I think my upstream is a little serious, because I can play better with the trumpet at a 35 degree angle to the ground then I can at 0 degrees. Any way to fix this so I can see my music in front of me and not have to look down to get the trumpet to be straight?

Provo, UT

Re: Help me out can bend the mouthpiece. That is what I would recommend. likes this.
    'My advice is to never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.'
    - Charles Dickens

Forte User
    Brisbane, Australia

Re: Help me out

And get your glasses adjusted. Mine slide down my nose too so I go every 3 months or so to get them tightened. If you go where you got the glasses they don't charge for this.
    Queensland Wind And Brass
    Talking about music is like dancing about architecture. Thelonious Monk

Vienna, Austria, Europe

Quote Originally Posted by mchs3d View Post can bend the mouthpiece. That is what I would recommend.
    I know a few guys who play bent mouthpieces - amongst them Gabriel Keogh of the Dani Felber Big Band. Wonderful professional - the bend hasn't driven him round the bend.
    But one piece of warning: DON'T DO IT YOURSELF! Have a trained tech do it - they know how. Otherwise you end up with a broken mpc.
    Juarez-MA likes this.

How about moving the music to either sides of you? That way, you don't have to look down. I always have my stand to my right. Thats what we did in middle school to create more space and avoid playing into the stand. I'm used to it and I find it most comfortable in that position., edfitzvb, Dupac and 2 others like this.
    Monette 6
    Monette B6LDS

Utimate User
    Jackson NC

I played for the longest time with my stand to the right side, and why I now prefer it to be on my left side eludes me, but such is the way it is unless I'm playing from my orchestra stand where I read downward under my hands. I think such may be to evade the distracting flutter of my fingers and also closer to reach for a mute left handed.

Thread Information