Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Help, what should I do? in the General forums; Here is a little advice, hope it helps. I have been through and solved quite a few problems over the ...

Re: Help, what should I do?

Here is a little advice, hope it helps. I have been through and solved quite a few problems over the past couple of years there are some things that have always helped.

1. Probably the most important, don't over analyze. Stick to some real basics when fixing things. You have a good idea what is right and what is wrong. Put the mouthpiece where it went when it was working (using a mirror is a great tool, but don't overdo that either!) and STICK with it. It might even feel a little uncomfortable, but just remember that lips are very sensitive, so you have to trust that it will stop feeling strange in a pretty short amount of time (I can say first hand it will)

2. Take small steps. Make sure you are doing exercises in a comfortable range where you can focus on rebuilding good habits such as breathing, posture, ease, and sound.

3. Don't stop playing. Playing one day, then taking a few days off to "reset" will not help. Your muscles need to build and get used to vibrating. If you are methodical about fixing this, and don't overdo it, you won't have to take time off!

4. Let things be worse than they were. It's fine, and you'll be back to yourself in a short time.
    I routinely fell into the trap of trying to do everything I could when things were going well. This is a dangerous. Remember that your playing isn't broken, it's just not in balance. Be methodical, give yourself time, understand that it IS fixable, and not as serious as you think.

5. I'm jealous of your range

Andre Dubelsten

San Pedro

rest as much as you practice.. during you practice routine... play an exercise.. rest .. that can be as simple as play 8 measures... rest 8 measures. When I feel pressured because there is not enough time in a day and I break from this... not resting enough.. my chops go down hill fast. They get tight ..sore.. range goes down hill ....
    Also, try to make sure you have a good warm up. Playing on tight chops isn't what I would recommend.
    if you don't have a private teacher.. now if definitely the time to get lessons
    If you can sound Taps please take a few minutes and check out this site.
    Bugles Across America > Home

New York State USA

The lead trumpet player in band when I was in high school was a very pretty young lady--- Patti S. The band instructor would stop the trumpet section every now and then when we couldn't express the music in the right context. And then he would ask Patti to demonstrate how the music was to be played. She was the best technical trumpet player I have ever encountered ---- and being a woman didn't mean anything to us. The rest of the band knew Patti sat 1st chair since her freshman year --- NOT because she was a young woman, or she was cute or pretty ---- BUT because SHE WAS THE BEST TRUMPET PLAYER THE SCHOOL EVER HAD!!!!!!
    Last edited by kingtrumpet; 11-19-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: forgot attractiveness designation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information