Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Herb Alpert - My Funny Valentine in the General forums; I agree SteveRicks!...
    Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

Re: Herb Alpert - My Funny Valentine

I agree SteveRicks!

Forte User
    The Netherlands

From time to time some people "confess" that they have to say that Miles Dewey Davis is a mediocre player, Louis Daniel ditto and now Herbert Alpert.
    Maybe he plays only stuff "we can play" but I strongly believe that H.A is a great trumpetplayer. But with him you can't listen to the speed of execution or the stratospheric notes, you have to listen to the details of execution and the style of interpretating. PERFECT!!!!
    It's all in the phrasing.
    patkins likes this.

Pianissimo User theo van kampen's Avatar
    Amsterdam Holland

Quote Originally Posted by kehaulani View Post
    "It's not what you know, it's how you use what you know!"
    - - - John Brenson, 1967, in an argument over his mediocre musicianship.

OK (takes a deep, relaxing breath) how to be tactful. Since becoming active on this forum, I've been surprised (taken aback) by how many seem to have been real fans of, if not even enfluenced by, Herb Alpert. Nothing wrong with getting some pleasure out of listening to his stuff, that's for sure. But IMO the guy's a mediocre trumpet player who personifies the quote above.
    Nothing wrong with that: In the old world we use to say: 'In the limitation shows the true master' (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe) but apart from that; I challenge everybody who says that Herb Alpert is a mediocre trumpetteer to copie his version of Promises, Promises (Herb Alpert And The T.J.B. - Promises, Promises - YouTube) or Zorba the Greek (Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Zorba The Greek - YouTube)
    Peter McNeill and patkins like this.

Pianissimo User
    McMinnville, Oregon

I concur with Patkins & Ricks. When Trumpeters like Harry James, Ray Anthony were struggeling to keep the Big bands going Mr. Alpert was making headlines with his own new style of music and a simpler form of trumpet playing a lot of us beginners could at least try to emulate. He managed to create some great music that everyone could enjoy, run a large business, make and keep a large sum of money and lead a decent life with his family. Of the latter most of the great trumpet players of Mr. Alperts era were women chasers, drunks, or drug addicts with very few scruples sorry to say.
    patkins likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll W. Schroeder View Post
    ........most of the great trumpet players of Mr. Alperts era were women chasers, drunks, or drug addicts with very few scruples sorry to say.

Schilke B1 & S42 (Bb), Conn 38A Connstellation (Cornet), Bach Strad 183 (Flugel), French Besson Classic (C)
    Plus a modest collection of vintage trumpets.

"True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country." Kurt Vonnegut

"It aint the mouthpiece." W.W.

When I was in my teens, every one of my friends had a Herb Alpert cassette in their car. I was the only one of the group that was actually a horn player, yet, Herb was the "go to guy" for everyone in my neighborhood when they wanted some fun, lively music. Oh, and most of these guys had an almost unbridled love for Kiss, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Judus Priest, etc...
    Just shows the universal appeal of Herb Alpert and the TJB. He had a way of bringing all generations together.
    Peter McNeill and patkins like this.

Fortissimo User
    in exile from Germany

Sorry guys, many of you are confusing his ability to play catchy tunes and produce recordings with state of the art production values, with his ability to play the trumpet. They are not the same thing at all.

Regarding using ''Promises" and "Zorba" as examples that he was more than mediocre, I offer this. All I can say is that "Promises", is hilarious. I thought it was a youTube shred. No? With "Zorba", one of the bands I directed in Germany, played "Zorba" regularly on gigs, including that trumpet part, in harmony, and these were amateurs. What can I say?

Regarding using his recordings to play along with because they were accessible to your level of proficiency, that's cool. I would offer, though, that there was an alternative, so that Herb didn't have to be considered such an influence - one Miles Dewey Davis. The heads and solos on "Kind of Blue" were also accessible.

As far as his being one of the most influential trumpet players of all time, I'd sure like to know what that's based on. I spent the first decade of my professional career playing trumpet and being around some monster trumpeters, both up and coming, as well as legendary players, and I never knew one who referred to Alpert as an influence. The bouncy pop style might have had an influence on a certain genre of pop music, in general, but that had no significant impact on trumpet players that I know of.

But this is getting out of hand. Anyone who enjoys Herb Alpert's music, have fun with it. That's what it's there for. And the instrumental pop version of "Valentine" offered at the top of the thread is there for anyone's listening pleasure. I give the guy credit for creating a instantly recognisable style that is pleasing to listen to, commercially successful and he has done many things for the music industry.

But let's not over-state his role as a trumpet player based on the enjoyment of his music or on his astuteness as a businessman and producer. Like I opened my remarks with - he's a perfect example of knowing how to use what you know.
    Last edited by kehaulani; 06-23-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

Forte User
    Tuscaloosa, AL.

So Kehaulani, you don't think much of Herb Alpert. Why don't you look at what these cats said about him?

“You hear three notes and you know it’s Herb Alpert” said Miles
    Davis in 1989; “He gets right to the point of what he’s playing,” remarked
    Wynton Marsalis more recently, “very melodic and nothing extraneous.”

Source: Herb Alpert Biography.

It is my opinion that these cats trump your opinion, that he is mediocre.
    Vega Power likes this.

In the late 60s- early 70s his Whipped Cream album was always one of my favorites...still . The music was great and the cover art was unforgettable.
    patkins likes this.
    Tom Hodges
    1918 Conn 2F Tenor Horn
    1921 Conn Victor New Wonder
    1923 Conn 22B New York Symphony
    1941 Conn 36A Concert Grand
    1946 Conn 80A
    1949 Conn 2B New World Symphony
    1950 Conn 28B Connstellation
    1958 Conn 18A Director coprion
    1966 Conn 28A Connstellation
    1969 Conn 60B Super Connstellation

Moderator Utimate User Solar Bell's Avatar
    Metro Detroit

Here is the ride book player in my band, Bill Hart playing it.

Bill was a student of Don Jacoby and in the famous picture of Don giving a student a lesson, Bill is the student.

Last edited by Solar Bell; 06-23-2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Chuck Willard
    The Willard of Oz

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information