Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Herb Alpert - My Funny Valentine in the General forums; This is a beautiful rendition of MY FUNNY VALENTINE! Thanks for posting. It surely is inspiring!...
    Forte User

Re: Herb Alpert - My Funny Valentine

This is a beautiful rendition of MY FUNNY VALENTINE! Thanks for posting. It surely is inspiring!

Fortissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by patkins View Post
    So Kehaulani, you don't think much of Herb Alpert. Why don't you look at what these cats said about him?

“You hear three notes and you know it’s Herb Alpert” said Miles
    Davis in 1989; “He gets right to the point of what he’s playing,” remarked
    Wynton Marsalis more recently, “very melodic and nothing extraneous.”

Source: Herb Alpert Biography.

It is my opinion that these cats trump your opinion, that he is mediocre.
    This could go round and round - and I'm not going to hijack the thread and let it get out of hand - but IMO those quotes don't have anything to do with anything I've said about him, I don't care if Gabriel himself said them. Just these comments, and then basta!

Miles quote # 1: that means that he's instantly identifiable, something very important. Here's a link to Florence Foster Jenkins. Three notes and you know it's her, too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4f77T-LoM
    Davis quote #2. Sure. Simplicity. Again, my quote: "he's a perfect example of knowing how to use what you know." You make my point for me.
    Wynton quote : And? That's just a statement of fact.

Miles and Wynton are just stating the obvious. Look - like I said, Alpert carved out a considerable niche for himself and more power to him and to anyone who enjoys listening to him. I don't begrudge that at all. Hell, I listen to the Shaggs for Pete's sake! Just don't anyone try to convince me that he's got the same artistic depth or the chops of a very long list of trumpet players of many other genres. Like him for what he is.
    Last edited by kehaulani; 06-24-2012 at 01:46 AM.
    You can't blow it if you haven't lived it.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    Chet Baker

Schilke B7
    Martin Committee (1956)
    Connstellation 38B (1959)
    LA Benge 3X (1970s)
    Hans Hoyer G-10 Geyer Horn

"Hell, I listen to the Shaggs for Pete's sake! "
    Thanks for my sake..

Hey Zappa rated them the 3rd best Band... Class act.
    Philosophy of the world - The Shaggs - YouTube
    Peter

Why do I like a bell that Points UP ?
    - because the spit does not run back into my mouth!

Forte User

Funny thread. It is difficult to debate about musical things with someone who refuses to listen,
    Some time ago a discussion (TH or TM) like this was about the trumpetplaying abilities of Miles Davis. Someone with a lot of knowledge "proved" that Miles couldn't play at all.
    Maybe he was right but I could never understand how a mediocre player, as Miles was pictured, was able to fill beautiful solistic records like Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess, Concerto d'Aranguez, with a steady, relaxed tone, superior intonation (even on a difficult instrument as the Martin flugel), range, speed of execution and complete command of the orchestra and the musical stuff. Seems to me no business for amateurs.
    patkins and Vega Power like this.

Well I was just sharing "a moment"; and not everyone will like Herb Alpert, that's just life and tastes.

For those that do, then join me for a last "Rise" before I go to bed myself. All can also understand that Kehaulani has his opinion, and that's OK, that's what forums are for, and I do understand his point of view.

Anyway, probably done my "Moment" to death. It brought a smile to my dial on the plane, and I hoped to share it. So enjoy this as a closing moment.... just cool playing.
    HERB ALPERT with JEFF LOBER LIVE AT MONTREU X 1996 "RISE" - YouTube

Cheers
    patkins likes this.
    Peter

ps...maybe next time I am in for a long trip and pick a song, I'll try Concierto de Aranjuez..
    Last edited by Peter McNeill; 06-24-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Peter

Perhaps this is one time many of us will have to agree to disagree. As judged by history, both are very successful muscians. Alpert probably is known by more folks but in the jazz arena Miles is definately considered one of the top players.

Both guys are at the top in the styles they play. What I think part of the debate is about is are there others who might outplay them in other venues? Probably, just as they would outplay those guys in their sytles. Neither Miles or Alpert have a world recognized recording of the Carnival of Venice with high technical playing. That doesn't necessarily mean they are mediocre -except in that style. Neither were lead players for Maynard -not in their performance skills. But, in their own styles, they were the tops. Sort of like saying, which is better, apples or oranges. Depends on what you are wanting to cook.

This reminds me of movie critics and history. Rarely, a movie gets really poor reviews by the critics, but goes on over history to go down as an outstanding movie. Sort of what is happening here.
    Steve
    Olds Supers, LA (1953), Ful. (1962)
    Olds Recording, LA (1952)
    Olds Studio, LA (1953)
    Olds Special, Ful. (1964)
    Olds Ambassador, LA (1954)
    Olds Ambassador, Ful. (1973)
    Bach Strads 37-(1967, 1970, 1974, 1982)
    Bach Strad 72 MLV (1973), 72* (1982)
    Kanstul 1500 (2002), 1502 (2008), 1503 (2002)
    Kanstul 1537 (2007)
    Kanstul Chicago (2000)
    Kanstul 1510 C
    King Liberty (1929,1929)
    King Liberty 2 (1938, 1944)
    King Liberty 2b (1950)
    J.H. Darby 45 USA
    Holton (Revelation) 1924
    Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Forte User

You can lead a man to water, but you can't make him think.

If two of the greats, Miles And Wynton, have enough class and professionalism to say something positive about Herb Alpert, instead of saying a negative then they are expressing what music is all about.
    Last edited by patkins; 06-24-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by harleyt26 View Post
    In the late 60s- early 70s his Whipped Cream album was always one of my favorites...still . The music was great and the cover art was unforgettable.
    Beavis: Boiiinnnnngggg
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    Actually that was what I was trying to say. He was extremely influential - probably influenced 1/2 the folks here other than the youngest. Yet, he confined his playing to stuff WE could play. ... I had Alpert mentoring me in the living room on the stereo almost every day.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveRicks View Post
    Maybe he can do the tough stuff in Arbans in cut time and 8va,
    It depends on one's standards for playing. I doubt that Herb would do a clean job of either.

I really liked Funny Valentine. Peter , thanks for posting , I would have never looked for it. Smooth jazz usually makes me queezy if I listen too long but that was nice..
    May the God of Israel, who is very real, and who sent the Messiah and the Savior that we so desperately need so that we can be reconciled to our Creator and live forever with the Three-In-One God, bless you today!

We have to admit that there is nothing in the geological records that runs contrary to the views of conservative creationists."

(Evolutionist Edmund Ambrose)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information