Trumpet Discussion Discuss Hi and Help in the General forums; Hi, Heres my story, I've been playing the trumpet for 10 years, lived through braces and tooth breakages - come ...
    Cambridge - UK

Hi and Help

Heres my story, I've been playing the trumpet for 10 years, lived through braces and tooth breakages - come out of the otherside in one piece. However, recently I've taken a massive intrest in Jazz. I've always been in a Big Band - since I was 11 or something. But recently I joined a Jazz Dectet (10 of us). I've done jazz before, but I've never seemed to care too much until now.

Alright, you've heard my story, heres my problem. When trying to improve my tone - making it kinda unique: its now mellow but piercing (not my words), I added a bit of pressure to my playing - only a bit: its nothing really. But now I have permenant tooth ache. I dont know if its due to the pressure or my recent style of practice: I've been practicing normally - air in, air out, buzzing, etude warm up, play my pieces - but afterwards I continue playing and practicing jazz pieces and imporvisation, generally testing my lips endurance to its capacity.

Now, before you say its the pressure, I went through a stage of pressure playing after I got my braces off (about 3 years ago) and its no where near the same kinda pressure as it is now. Maybe it feels like more pressure now because I've been practicing hard everyday.

Any Ideas?

By the way, if you guys need any advice about braces, tooth breakages or anything about what I've mentioned, I'd love to help.

Pianissimo User

Re: Hi and Help

Get ye to a dentist and ask him.

Mezzo Forte User

Re: Hi and Help

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter01 View Post
    Get ye to a dentist and ask him.
    I agree.

There could be inflammation, receding gum line, a crack in a tooth that is starting to abscess, etc.
    All of which I have gone through many times, but I waited until it was too late and sometimes lost teeth.

You might just need to let it rest for a while, but better to play it safe and have a dentist look at it.

- Morris

Thread Information