Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss High C to Double High C in the General forums; Over the past few months I've been using air compression to develop my range better and more efficiently, not only ...
    New Friend

High C to Double High C

Over the past few months I've been using air compression to develop my range better and more efficiently, not only are my high notes stronger, but I'm saving a lot more on my chops by not using physical pressure.

But now I have an extremely hard time hitting notes from a high G to a high C as opposed to Double High G and Double High C, and it's not making any sense. And sometimes even getting a note to sound from that range is even more difficult, and I'm trying not to analyze too much into what I'm doing, but I've never had trouble hitting these notes before and I'm not sure why I suddenly can't even get them to sound. I doubt this has happened to anyone before, but I'm extremely lost.

I'll bring this up to my private teacher when I have my next lesson again in the middle of January, but I'm worried about this now that I have All-State Band rehearsals coming soon. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help!

Re: High C to Double High C

Double High C? I have no use for such things - we 3rd chair officionados like to tootle a little lower down, although the Battle Hymn of the Republic tests us a bit.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Pianissimo User

Quote Originally Posted by TrumpetSaiyan777 View Post
    Over the past few months I've been using air compression to develop my range better and more efficiently, not only are my high notes stronger, but I'm saving a lot more on my chops by not using physical pressure.

But now I have an extremely hard time hitting notes from a high G to a high C as opposed to Double High G and Double High C, and it's not making any sense. And sometimes even getting a note to sound from that range is even more difficult, and I'm trying not to analyze too much into what I'm doing, but I've never had trouble hitting these notes before and I'm not sure why I suddenly can't even get them to sound. I doubt this has happened to anyone before, but I'm extremely lost.

I'll bring this up to my private teacher when I have my next lesson again in the middle of January, but I'm worried about this now that I have All-State Band rehearsals coming soon. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help!
    Yer just braggin' ....

two words that I've gleaned from reading this forum..... Balanced practice..... (Practice the low's as much as you practice the high's.........)
    Conn Constellation 1963
    Olds Special 1974
    Olds Ambassador 1978
    Olds Ambassador 1953

Spend less time developing range, spend more time worrying about the audition. I doubt there is even a High C in your music, out of all the Texas sets, I think there is a maybe one C. Too many high school players worry about the extreme register and rarely use it in practical application. I've had a teacher tell me "unless you are a lead player, High F will get you anywhere you want to go."
    TrumpetSaiyan777 likes this.
    "There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality: there is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury; then there's the dark side...." --Michael Stewart

New Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Conn-solation View Post
    Yer just braggin' ....

two words that I've gleaned from reading this forum..... Balanced practice..... (Practice the low's as much as you practice the high's.........)
    Not at all, sorry if I came across that way! I don't intend to sound cocky or arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by DaTrump View Post
    Spend less time developing range, spend more time worrying about the audition. I doubt there is even a High C in your music, out of all the Texas sets, I think there is a maybe one C. Too many high school players worry about the extreme register and rarely use it in practical application. I've had a teacher tell me "unless you are a lead player, High F will get you anywhere you want to go."
    Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm reckless and often go off on tangents with the high notes when it's unnecessary. Thanks again!
    Last edited by TrumpetSaiyan777; 12-31-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Quit practicing high notes... Do Clarke #1 inverted starting on middle c (down to middle g). Then go up by half steps until you are doing them from high g down to high c, or as high as you can do them well... Do them slowly and softly focusing on accuracy and smoothness between notes. You are trying to build fluidity between g on staff and 4th ledger line g.

Sounds to me like you are using two different embochures...
    DaTrump likes this.

Pianissimo User

Sorry if I came across that way, I didn't intend to send that kind of message!

And thanks for the advice, I'm sometime reckless for going off on tangents while I practice so I'll definitely be more mindful. Thanks!
    Jis ribbin ya.....

My range is slowly improving as well. and I am good with the slowly as I have no urgent deadlines to meet anymore. I tend to 10 minutes of low slurs and atleast 5 minutes of high slurs then rest and repeat.... when I get into other technical exercises, my ADD sometimes kicks in and I'll go off on the high slur/low slur tangent for a while. - then I clean up my shop/practice room some more so I can do the winter overhaul on my motorcycle and get started on the T-bucket frame.
    TrumpetSaiyan777 likes this.
    Conn Constellation 1963
    Olds Special 1974
    Olds Ambassador 1978
    Olds Ambassador 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Conn-solation View Post
    ..... so I can do the winter overhaul on my motorcycle and get started on the T-bucket frame.
    Now you're talkin' - but you'll service your trumpet first, won't you?
    Conn-solation likes this.
    Ted
    Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

Utimate User

Out of a random selection from one million songs, I'd like to discern 100 that have the music for normal Bb trumpet written higher than a C3#.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lee View Post
    Out of a random selection from one million songs, I'd like to discern 100 that have the music for normal Bb trumpet written higher than a C3#.
    Why does that matter? I use 99% of my (high) high notes in impro solos, and thats where most people who can play them use them. And of course 8va the last note (plus one eight note) on ALL big band songs
    Jon Petter
    www.facebook.com/jonpetter

Monette Ajna II Bb
    Monette STC3 B1-5S4
    Monette STC2 B2
    Monette STC3 B4
    Monette STC2 BL
    Monette STC2 BL2 Prana
    Wallace mutes TRY THEM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information