Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Trumpet Discussion Discuss High Notes in the General forums; I am not talking about pressure - that may not be good, but it works up to a point. I ...

Re: High Notes

I am not talking about pressure - that may not be good, but it works up to a point. I am not so concerned about it with my students. Focussing on KILLER breathing seems to remove the need for extreme pressure WITHOUT needing extra homework. It is just a case of economy.

When someone starts posting here and brings up just about EVERYTHING that could be wrong, I usually expect that someone knowledgable is trying to provoke us (yes, there are enough people with time like that to waste and enough destructive energy). They sometimes are even quite accomplished players that just can't handle competition on the net.

If this a real person with that many problems (they do exist), only personalized attention will solve the issue.

My trumpet students have a clean C scale within 2 weeks after the first lesson, a clean double tongue after 2 months and a solid C above the staff within 18 months. Not because I am good, only because they pay attention and do what is good for themselves. THEY earn it, it is not a gift that I bestow. Heck, I even send them home if they don't come prepared! That preparation and constant monitoring make the experience really rewarding for all involved. There is no other way!

Hitman needs to take his problems to a real decent player/teacher. That is where he will find what he needs.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Tekirova, Antalya, Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Hiya999 View Post
    to trumpetnick: "as little movement as possible" but is it just faster airspeed and thats all? i tried playing without pressing and all i get is just air. (anyway i think i am, and we're going off topic from high notes to embrochure problems)
    I will try to answer, but first of all, you must learn to use the search feature. This is not the first time someone adress such questions. So, to start - a quote from another thread, written by Rowuk:

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I have never gotten into descriptions and this type of theory. I teach forming the lips like the letter "M" and letting the rest get accomplished with soft long tones and slurs. None of the students that I have started this way have ever had trouble with range or sound, so I'll continue to keep it simple!

If someone comes to me and has trouble with range, we work out a daily routine with buzzing, longtones and slurs (without tonguing). That only didn't work with students twice in my whole career. The one trumpet player wasn't able to get 30 minutes per day in, and the other one kept beating his face up.
    As for the mouvements of the lips, jaws and other facial muscles, if you get the bonus DVD, you will probably understand what I was trying to explain. Mouvements are not prohibited but you must make sure that what you do is what need to be done and nothing more...this is very difficult to achieve without an experienced teacher.

Fast Air: don't worry about. Make sure that you get enough air, that you control it well and use it wisely. There is a whole thread about fast air. If you want to, feel wellcome to use the search machine of TM. Make also sure that your chops are strong enough for the notes you are trying to play. If they are not, go back to soft playing, slurs, arpeggios, scales and possibly the old pencil trick.

Amara Music Academy
    Go on vacation, learn to play an instrument
    The Official Group of Nick I
    Spada Bach B flat 72, leadpipe 2L/DWMM1.5C
    Spada Bach C 256, leadpipe 2LQ/DWMM1.5C
    A Besson Sovereign 928 modified by Spada to come...

Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.

Pianissimo User
    Hertfordshire, UK

Quote Originally Posted by navf21 View Post
    One other thing play tunes building from middle register and go higher step by step , just to ask how is your lower register ?
    My lower register is pretty good, I play 2nd cornet in a Brass Band so my lower and middle register get a good workout (albeit on a cornet rather than a trumpet).
    Nick Jolly

Life is something like a trumpet. If you don't put anything in, you won't get anything out. - William Christopher Handy

Banned Piano User

ok sorry

Levittown , NY

Quote Originally Posted by et_mike View Post
    That is absolutely NOT right and the teacher you are learning from is obviously not a trumpet player. Please go take some lessons from a qualified TRUMPET PLAYER before you hurt yourself. Carmine Caruso is an amazing trumpet player and teacher... google him, you won't be disapointed!
    Carmine Caruso was a sax player.

Rochester, NY

arbans worked wonders for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information