Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss High Notes in the General forums; Originally Posted by miles71 Good gravy................... You know I bought the same driver Tiger Woods uses and I still cant ...
    Ithaca NY

Re: High Notes

Quote Originally Posted by miles71 View Post
    Good gravy...................

You know I bought the same driver Tiger Woods uses and I still cant hit a ball like him, must not be holding it right........................

I just made a decision, instead of writting a LONG response I will say again.................Good Gravy!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingtrumpet View Post
    I'm hoping we have mashed potatoes with that.
    Unless you and Miles brush your teeth before playing, you can play any horn or mouthpiece you like, except MINE!!!
    Last edited by veery715; 01-27-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Nothing is more contagious or tenacious than music. Once you are exposed it gets inside you and you can never get rid of it. It is also non-discriminating. It can be Ride of the Valkyries, In a Gadda da Vida, the Jeopardy 15 second thinking tune, your most disliked commercial jingle - it doesn't matter. Once triggered, off you go, like it or not.

New Zealand

Speaking of teeth...
    Unless you and Miles brush your teeth before playing, you can play any horn or mouthpiece you like, except MINE!!!
    Since everybody has a different tooth structure, that also leans towards every Trumpet player needing a slightly different mouthpiece, shallow, deep, narrow, wide...etc.

I'm actually thinking that "bhstrumpet18" is just trying to wind us all up by posting his/her original statement, but...we took the bait nonetheless.
    Good old Bach Strad 37ML
    Zeus Olympus 1000ABL
    Yamaha YFH-631 Flugel
    Courtois Flugel (Older model)
    GR 66M Chase Sanborn Model (Jazz & Small Group)
    GR 66MS Chase Sanborn Model (Lead)
    GR 66FL Chase Sanborn model - Flugel

New York State USA

Quote Originally Posted by veery715 View Post
    I can't vouch for Miles, but I brush my teeth before I play the trumpet, thanks for the offer though -- but I am pretty happy with my current set up, so I won't be going on a mpc safari anytime soon. Of course a new horn --- well that is better than mashed taters and

Piano User
    Wiltshire, UK

Ok so you can play a G above top C on your supper huge toilet bowl mouthpiece, when are you ever gonna need to be able to play that high for classical stuff? now lead stuff yeah all the time but have you got the right sound to play lead with your toilet bowl? probably not....

as many of you would agree a mouthpiece does a one thing, change the colour of the sound, there are several factors (cup depth, backbore etc) but the main thing is the colour of the sound. Like said above a 1.5c isnt gonna work on a lead gig were as a 14a4a will but wont work in a classical setting or brassband etc.

shallow mouthpieces are shallow to change the sound- to make them bright its an added bonus they help support up top, I may be wrong but thats how I see it.

On the other hand some young, inexperienced players (like myself a few years ago) bought a shallow MP to play around on and thought wow I can play supper high but my tone is shocking but I can play supper high. You can see how the inexperienced get sucked into shallow MP's and playing high. Since then I have learned to play on several MP's and my shallow lead piece sounds like a lead piece and I only use it when playing lead simple.

at the end of the day its a tool of the trade, you wouldnt use a 17mm spanner on a 20mm nut now would you?

San Francisco

Reedy, not sure what your point is...

Generally, choosing a mouthpiece is based on a few things-what type of playing are you going to do, what kind of sound are you going for and of course style would play into it. While it's the player that mostly defines the sound, the horn and mouthpiece are important factors.

My comments earlier were in reference to playing in jazz and commercial situations. In regards to the classical world, there are others far more qualified than I to answer the original question. Thanks for your input :)
    Bill Ortiz
    '56 Martin Committee Deluxe
    '54 Martin Committee Deluxe
    Couesnon Paris Flugelhorn
    Manning Trumpet Case/Berp Bio Oil
    Bob Reeves Mouthpiece Sleeves/PVA

A few comments......
    -There is no such thing as a "cheater mouthpiece" (IMO). Players should use what feels good to them.

-I'm pretty sure that Thomas Gansch uses a Bach 10 1/2 C Megatone....pretty small mouthpiece...look at the sound HE has (big, full, whatever)

-I think Dave Monette says it like this..."you don't where Wingtips to a marathon"

- (inspired by the Tiger Woods comment) I don't think Babe Ruth's bat hit homeruns for's the player, not the equipment!

-Pleeeenty classical players can play high with HUGE mouthpieces...look at Charlie Schlueter! The man uses a Monette B1-1 (MASSIVE) and he can get WAY up there in the stratosphere!

Thats all for now I think....!! :)
    1914 Holton Revelation Cornet
    1929 Stroud Baby Grand Piano
    1950's Hammond M3 Organ

New Friend

All you people too focused on the "right mouthpiece" for the job need to find a good enough trumpet to color it and change the tone

New Friend

Mpcs cause too much controversy. That's why I switched to playing without one about six years ago. Sure, I get some funny looks on a gig, and I sound like crap, but I don't have to defend my mpc choice anymore!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information