Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Trumpet Discussion Discuss High Notes, or the lack there of... in the General forums; Originally Posted by NickD First, listen to Wilmer about the Clarkes thing. Noticethe SOFT PLAYING thing. I have been to ...
    The Wide Brown Land

Re: High Notes, or the lack there of...

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    First, listen to Wilmer about the Clarkes thing. Noticethe SOFT PLAYING thing.

I have been to clinics by Jim Manely and Roger Ingram recently. The three of us all have exchanged emails on the subject and there is a common theme - soft playing to set the chops up of the upper register. You don't even have to play the upper register to get the form set up! This supports the advice of other posters here telling you to not press the high note issue for a while till you develop proper habits - form.

The one thing that I do a little differently is focus on form as opposed to strength. I never think of myself as building strength in my chops. I think of myself as playing with a proper form that I have developed over the years of thoughtful hard work on all of this.

Here is a list of things I think about with all of this.

Soft playing
    Aperture control - loud = bigger; soft = smaller; low = bigger; high = smaller; loud and low = biggest; soft and high = smallest
    Lip flexibility - forces the issue of proper tongue position
    Lip flexibilities played SOFTLY combines the concepts - requires control

Form and control - once you develop those, they don't get tired.

Final bit of advice: continue to work dilligently with your teacher whilst keeping an open mind to new ideas as they impinge on you.

FWIIW coming from me...

Thanks Nick, that provides some clarity for me - I reckon between you, Robin, Wilmer, Sofus, and Chuck - I might end up knowing a bit about trumpet theory. From Old Lou I might learn a bit about hardware. From Bear I might get a handle on life. From Nordlands I may be able to see trumpets where they wouldn't normally exist and with a little bit of luck, and some repitition, I might one day be able to bang out a toon or two, too. And for all the unnamed thousands - thanks too and cheers ....

Harrelson Bravura
    Getzen Eterna Classic 900
    Getzen Eterna II 700S
    Boosey & Hawkes Regent MkII
    Weril EP4071 Pocket
    Boosey & Hawkes Eb Tenor Horn

New Friend
    Lee's Summit, Missouri

So im basically starting a new thread here.

Id say a lot has changed since that lame cry for help at the beginning.

Marching Seasons over. Somehow i landed 1st chair Symphonic, AND was coerced into auditioning for jazz band and sight read the music and got 1st chair. and i am playing in the musical Pit fot the play.

So im pretty pumped for the rest of the year. But i could still use to build my range.

Besides the fact that ill be playing hellalot, any quick practice tips or routines that a can eeeek in to that to help the high notes? Thanks alot.

Or one kind person can tell me to stop being lazy and just deduce my own techniques from the 3 pages before this.

Pianissimo User
    Detroit Metro

...listen to wilmer maybe? hellloooo... If Bernstein gave him high praise, I suppose he may know wtf he is talkin about.

Aside from Wilmer, Carmine Caruso Method comes pretty highly recommended in squeeler circles. That other trumpet site has a whole section built around supporting the method. Some head games there, looks interesting. IIRC, the method book runs around $90. Maybe Santa can get a discount.

Piano User
    Kankakee, IL

I hit the wall at High C for most of my life. Heck 16 years out of practice could still hit that note but above that was the preverbal lost continent. I started with a Claude GOrdon Certified teacher and now can lay down to Dbl Pedal C and regularly up to G above High C. Have been into B and Dbl C territory a few times too.

Get a good teacher and get to diligent work.

For free you can listen to the audio files from Jeff Purtles website in his section. Listen to the stuff from Claude himself. Really invaluable. Just takes time.

Kind of funny really. His take on the lips after getting a MP set is to tell you to forget them!!! They are there just to vibrate. Most of the work you need is in the Tongue.

I know I know Yeah Right.... Well my G would beg to differ!!! It is becoming more consistent and reliable every day.
    Kanstul Chicago 1001 w/ Kanstul M-B11 P (Monette B1-1 Prana)
    Conn 80A w/ CG Personal GP

forget it. There is no quick fix. Everything has been said. Now you just have to have listened and start doing something about the rest of your trumpet playing life.

Waiting for a miracle just leaves you behind the rest. Shortcuts are stupid.

I'm closing this thread. There is nothing new to add
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information