Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Trumpet Discussion Discuss Home Ultrasonic Cleaner in the General forums; Yes, they work... as long as the gunk is not too caked/baked on. I use mine mostly to clean mouthpieces ...
    Tuckahoe, NY

Re: Home Ultrasonic Cleaner

Yes, they work... as long as the gunk is not too caked/baked on.
    I use mine mostly to clean mouthpieces though, toss it in on a weekly basis keeps them nice and clean.

In general, I don't use them for slides/valves for a couple reasons....
    1. the one I bought is too small for the larger slides.
    2. the metal to metal contact in the bath can make some scratches on 'soft' metals .... hmmm, brass is soft....
    3. if you use the plastic basket insert you get about 30% of the cleaning power and then you are really doing a lot of nothing.
    4. since you can't throw the horn in there...what is the sense of having uber clean slides and a dirtier horn?

I do throw valves in there occasionally for horns I am donating or using as project horns or just messing with.

Little Horns
    Jupiter 416 Pocket Trumpet
    2013 Corneta Traspositor C/Db
    '32 Conn 40B Vocabell
    '32 Selmer Louis Armstrong Special
    '50 Blessing Super Artist

Bigger Horns
    2009 Phaeton Flugelhorn

Quote Originally Posted by rowuk View Post
    I will never put ANY of my trumpet parts in an ultrasonic bath and will not have a tech do so with my instruments. Period. I am not saying that you all shouldn't. I know why I won't however.
    May I ask why? If I remember correctly, you play a Monette and Mr. Monette does ultrasonic cleaning.
    Monette 6
    Monette B6LDS

Last time I was in Portland, my horn went into a chemical bath, not an ultrasonic one.

I do not trust ultrasound with things metal soldered together. Instrument techs using them only have the limited DIY experience that they have, and those in the REAL know (outside of the musical instrument industry) have even screwed up many big things. VW and Mercedes wasted fuel injection nozzles big time years ago and I know enough first hand instances of tools not meeting spec in the industry that I work in after ultrasound. Even my wifes glasses got screwed up after an optician put them just a "little" too long in the bath.

In the right trained hands maybe there is no issue, but why should I take a chance? There is nothing on any of my or my students horns that needs ultrasound. We clean regularly with soapy water and the right brushes.

Instruments are the way that they are because of resonance affected by many things miniscule. Forged braces pass sound differently than stamped or bent metal. Even small amounts of tension on the bottom valve caps change the response of a horn. The vibrations during playing do change the characteristics of the metal at various places on the horn. The soft soldering between pipes is also vulnerable.

That is why I am not interested in letting the tech have less work when he gets the "privilege" of working on my horns. They go in clean. There is no work for him to clean anything.

I am also not a big fan of cryogenics either - or even leaving my horn in a hot trunk on a summer day.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

I have to disagree with you on the reasoning that we use ultrasonic cleaning. We use it because it does a more thorough job, not because it is faster. That is a bonus. But, to properly clean a horn, it should be cleaned prior to putting it in the US because US cleaning isn't great at removing large deposits.
    I don't have US at my shop, but I do wish that I had that option.
    After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. ~Aldous Huxley
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' until you do suck-a-seed. ~ Clark Terry

Trumpet Maker

Forte User

So from what people are saying this ultrasonic cleaner isn't a good purchase, and cleaning with ultrasonic cleaners is under debate.
    Bach CR300 cornet
    Getzen 700 Eterna
    Getzen 390 (stay-at-school horn)
    Blessing "C"
    Yamaha 731 flugelhorn
    Buescher Custom Built model 264 Aristocrat cornet

No, we have a situation with no objective data. I have not seen any studies on the effects of ultrasound on resonant metal structures. We have an industry that uses ultrasound in a very DIY way-put the parts in a bath for a "while".

I am not interested and do see potential trouble.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

While I don't currently own a ultrasonic, I do know of many great uses for them, along with potential risks if used improperly. They can also be instrument killers, but usually only if the metal is already weak or rotted. There are plenty of techs out there that have been using ultrasonics effectively for years, cleaning thousands of instruments. While they may not have published anything, they do talk to each other. I don't see how that cumulative experience could be described as anything but "objective data".

Regardless, nobody is going to make you use an ultrasonic, unless they did and didn't tell you. If you sent your horn to monette insisting on a chem bath only, he could easily uc it and never tell you. How would you ever know? Just saying....
    Bach strad 180s ML 37 melk 525, mk sterling semi round slide
    Curry 60m
    blessing anniversary flugel curry 3fl
    Al's Music Shop
    Specializing in unique and hard to find instruments.

South Salem, NY

Unfortunately it is probably too late to reject ultrasonics. Ultrasonic cleaning is one of the processes used during the manufacture (assembly) of virtually all new trumpets, cleaning them in preparation for plating or lacquering. Factories typically have a line of them in which the instruments are cleaned sequentially. The previous alternative, vapor degreasing, used volatile (and highly carcinogenic) solvents, and has been discontinued, presumably due to pressure from OSHA.

My ultrasonic tank is one of the tools I consider using as part of my work.
    Ivan Hunter
    Performance and Tuition - Design, Modification and Repair
    Jaeger Trumpets, Cornets and Mouthpieces

Please do not attempt any repairs unless you have appropriate technical proficiency

Program facilitator for
    Bringing Music back into the Home

And/but Ivan, you are a professional! Those reading and posting on this thread have probably seen the videos with the dirt floating away on the Holton trumpet. If you delve deeper, a light acidic solution has to be used to achieve those results. The manufacturer describes it's use as light cleaning. If warm, soapy water was all that was needed to get rid of the green crud, that would be great, but that doesn't seem to be the case as several tech's have commented. I can think of a scenario where a DIY'er puts his valves in his US cleaner, starts texting while waiting for the magic, forgets the valves are being cleaned, remembers and returns to find parts have rubbed against each other. Not a good ending for sure. I would think the time to prep the valve to be dunked could have been spent doing the job the old fashioned way (and no felts get harmed!).
    Knowledge is freedom, and ignorance is slavery - Miles Davis

The difference between a beginner and pro mouthpiece is practice - tobylou8

Nobody has learned how to play the trumpet. It's endless. - Maynard Ferguson

Don't be afraid to try something different. The Ark was built by an amateur and the Titanic was built by a group of experienced engineers.

By the inch it's a cinch, by the yard, it's hard!

Greendale, WI.

I just had my recently purchase 1946 Olds Super (Original lacquer in pristine condition) serverviced at Charlie Melk's. Valve alignment, ultrasonic cleaning, remove a large solder ball from tuning slide (apparently there from birth). I have to say, the horn is whistle clean and sounds fantastic! Charlie does nice work.

If I had read some of these comments on ultrasonic cleaning prior, and may well have insisted on no ultrasonic. All's well that ends well.
    tobylou8 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information